077: Calming Down

In the evening, prior to dinner, Eugene was summoned to the office by the grand duke.

Eugene anticipated the grand duke's anger but was taken aback to find him composed, instructing Eugene to take some time to converse with Kaizer. Eugene felt momentarily uneasy before accepting and apologizing to the grand duke for the trouble he had caused. He promised to find a solution that would not tarnish the reputation of the Karsten Household.

Grand Duke Karsten became intrigued.

He inquired about the nature of the situation, and Eugene proceeded to discuss the matter concerning the Rozans family, particularly Timber, who was the focal point of his protection.

"Gaining an audience with the emperor is challenging due to the ongoing court deliberations on your parents' case, despite the verdict having been delivered."

Eugene displayed disinterest.

"That is understandable since numerous nobles would object, given that Duke Viltaria and Marquis Shradinza are prominent figures who have made significant contributions to the empire,"

This was one of the reasons why he knew execution was implausible.

"They are currently under custody. It may take several days before their exile is carried out."

Following the court's announcement of the verdict, the Duke and the Marquis would be banished, forbidden to set foot in the empire again. They would perish outside the very empire they had once protected, discarded, and forgotten. Eugene believed that punishment alone was sufficient, as they would forever carry the burden of guilt and die without a proper burial. Let them endure the agony of having a family but not truly feeling it.

Eugene joined the grand duke and Kaizer for dinner.

The atmosphere in the hall was pervaded by silence.

Later, after informing Kaizer that they should discuss matters the following day, Eugene returned to his room. Kaizer agreed, acknowledging the importance of cooling their heads first to prevent further nonsensical arguments.

The next day, Timber remained unconscious.

Eugene continued to monitor Timber's condition and couldn't help but feel somber. Klius is truly deranged.

He needed to find a way to discover what Klius had implanted in Timber's body and save him. Although Timber was not in critical condition, knowing that Klius wouldn't go as far as harming Timber, Eugene still needed to find a swift method to rouse Timber from a deep slumber.

"Raphael, stay here and do not leave my room."

Raphael observed his young master departing and heaved a sigh of relief before shifting his gaze to Timber, who had been unconscious since the previous day.

Eugene proceeded to Kaizer's room.

Upon arrival, he found Kaizer seated on the couch, patiently awaiting him. Kaizer remained silent, observing Eugene as he approached and took a seat on the opposite couch. He then dismissed the servants who had guided Eugene to the room.

"Why? Aren't you pleased to wake up next to your beloved?"

Eugene furrowed his brow.

"Timber is not my lover."

Kaizer emitted a sound of surprise, still reclining on the luxurious mahogany Hampshire chaise lounge chair, and said, "Perhaps not a lover, but you care deeply for him. Eugene, if I were to ask you to choose between me and him, who would you pick? Me, who has been with you for countless years, or that person who cannot even recall your sacrifices?"