Chapter 32

"It's what makes On the Cue what it is. And why I need to expand."

Paula put her hand on the beautiful infinity slave day collar around her neck and thought about the symbolism. She wondered if Sam wore one at work  while in her lavish office. Did she wear it daily or just on days she was submissive to her master?

Paula turned to Ruby. "I want you to take this gorgeous necklace off me please. It's kind of you to let me wear it, but I must give it back."

"It looks so wonderfully beautiful on you, why don't you keep it?  It's yours to have if you want it." Ruby offered.

"No. I don't want it. Even if it has no meaning at all to the rest of the world outside this club, it has a meaning in here. I don't want that." Paula turned around and lifted the few strands of hair touching her neck.

Ruby paused a second, let out a quiet breath of disappointment and took the necklace off Paula.

"At least take it home with you. You don't have to wear it. Keep it a while and if after time has passed, you can return it if you still want to." She held it in front of Paula.

"I can't keep it. It's beautiful but.... " Paula drew in an uneasy breath, "Give it away to someone else please." Paula felt uncomfortable refusing to take the neckless from Ruby. The fiery red headed dominatrix made it hard to stand up to her. She had that boss attitude. Demanding people do as she says.

"It's never been worn by anyone but you. You are the first and only person that has put it on. No one else will ever wear it if you give it back to me. So you might as well consider it yours."

Paula realized she would not win. Still, she would not wear it. She'd take it home and toss it in a drawer and forget about it. Maybe she'd throw it away or sell it for pennies, a fraction of what it's worth. It was of no value and would mean nothing to her. She took the platinum chain from Ruby reluctantly.

"Y'all watch the end of the show. Should be good. I'm gonna check on things downstairs and play bartender a while. I'll probably be thirty minutes. You and Chance make yourself at home. If you need anything, another drink, more food, that red phone will get you what you want." Ruby made her way to the door and left.

Paula put the neckless in her handbag and returned to sit beside Chance. She picked up the remote to push up the volume. She tapped on the headphones Chance was wearing and waved the remote at him. Chance took them off.

"Hey babe, you and Ruby have a nice talk?" He looked at Paula just a second then turned back to the show, not really interested in her answer.

"We did not. Let's watch the show or make one of our on!" Chances drink was low. Paula's was empty.

Paula reached for the red phone.  She ordered another Sex on the Beach drink and a glass of water.  Chance stood up, moved to the bar and made him another rum and coke.  Sarah delivered Paula's drink and water.

Paula studied Sarah. She was kind and polite. She had an absolute peace about her, and a servants heart. No doubt it made her happy to work in this place, even serving drinks to absolute strangers. Her smile was captivating.

"How long have you worked here?" Paula asked.

"Since before it opened. I worked for a temp agency that sent me over to clean and get the restaurant ready to open." Sarah held her empty tray. She had a soft voice, that enduring smile, and that beautiful necklace collar around her neck.

"Do you still work as a temp?" Paula quizzed.

"Not anymore." She smiled proudly this time. "I own it and run it myself now."