SS - Abhir's Surgery (Final)

A/n: Hello, apologies on the delayed update, but here's the final part of Abhir's surgery. Disclaimer - It's long! Happy reading :)

~*~

Abhimanyu and Akshara sat in the hospital room with Abhir, caressing his head and just looking at him adoringly. Abhinav stood by the door, conflicted by his feelings. This was his family right?

Then why did they look so right together?

No, this was his family now. Abhir would want his papa after waking up, he justified. He made his way into the room, while the family members looked on from the window.

"Abhir? Mera nikkeji"....he made his way to where Abhimanyu was sitting. Seeing Abhinav come towards Abhir, Abhimanyu instinctively stood up and stepped to the side, something that didn't go unnoticed by Akshara. Abhinav took over his seat, like nothing had happened. He started speaking to Abhir while Abhimanyu slowly took steps back, to let the 'family' have their moment.

"Abhimanyu, ruko," Akshara finally spoke. 

She stood from her own spot and grabbed another stool to put beside hers. "Tum bhi Abhir ke kuch lagte ho, toh tum bhi baitho." She eyed Abhinav, who seemed taken aback, but she stood firm nonetheless. She was going to make things better, she had decided, and he'd have to get on board.

Abhimanyu stood bewildered, not knowing why she was being so nice to him, but, he was thankful. He nodded and made his way back to where she was. He thought to take the stool further away from Abhir's head, but before he could, Akshara sat down. Leaving him the only option to sit much closer to his son. Abhinav watched this encounter looking defeated. The family members also came in for a quick visit, before Anand/Mahima came in requesting them to go home as visiting hours were over.

"Abhimanyu, Abhir ko monitor karna hoga aaj raat, toh tum ruk jao. We need to make sure uske saare vitals theek ho, aur usse time pe hosh aa jaaye. Aur Akshara yaa Mr. Sharma, aap mai se koi ek hi reh sakta hai. Hum zyaada bheed nahi karsakte hospital mai," instructed Anand.

Abhimanyu nodded to his tauji, at least he'd get to stay by his son as a doctor, he thought.

"Akshara, tum ghar jaakar aaram karo, mai rukta hu Abhir ke paas." Abhinav eagerly suggested, knowing she'd agree. But to his surprise, she just sat there, not moving an inch.

"Nahi Abhinav. Mai Abhir ki ma hoon, toh mera rukna zyaada zaroori hai. Abhir ka abhi abhi operation hua hai, aur aisai me mai kaise ghar jaakar aaraam karu? Mai kahi nahi jaa rahi, aap jaaiye." She said with finality.

Abhinav started to protest, when he caught her glaring at him. She was not going to budge. And not wanting to escalate the matter in front of the families, he decided to pay heed to her words and left with the others. He'd come back first thing in the morning, he decided. He should be there for when his son woke up.

Sometime after everyone left, Dr. Rohan brought plates of food for Abhimanyu and Akshara. When they saw the food, they scarfed it down, realizing they hadn't eaten all day. After finishing their dinner, Akshara sat by Abhir, once again caressing her son's hair, while Abhimanyu sat in the chair opposite her going over Abhir's files. He wanted to make sure the vitals all looked good. Abhir should regain consciousness by 6am, 12 hours post-surgery, he timed.

"Tum jaante ho, Abhir ke short-form sirf tum puri tarah samaj paate ho. Kabhi kabhi toh mai bhi nahi samajti." Akshara said absent-mindedly. Abhimanyu looked up from his files, tears in his eyes as he looked at his mini-me.

"Haa, pata nahi kyu, par mujhe samaj aa hi jaata hai ki woh kya soch raha hai. Usse pehli baar jab gale lagaaya tha, tab finally sukoon sa mila tha, jaisa mujhe tumhare saa-".....he stopped mid-sentence. How could he tell her that after 6 long years, he finally felt at peace hugging his son, the same peace he once felt with her. "Sorry", he said, going back to his files to avoid the awkwardness.