SS - Abhir's Surgery (1)

A/n: Hello! Thank you for the tremendous support on my last SS! I'm back with my take on Abhir's surgery track. I hate how the makers rushed it, shoving the sideys in our face, and didn't use the opportunity to bring the leads closer. I hope this does some justice to that track. Happy reading :)

This will start after Anand comes into the hospital room with Abhir's results. In my version, Akshara didn't grab Abhi's collar and accused him, she's just shocked and upset seeing Abhir in the hospital. Also, Arohi will be at home with Ruhi, not in the OT.

~~~

Abhimanyu, hame jald hi surgery karni hogi, varna Abhir ki jaan ko khatra ho sakta hai. Dusre doctors available nahi hai, isiliye tumhe hi surgery karni hogi. Mai aur Mahima Dr. Rohan ke saath OT ready karwaate hai, tum jaake ready ho jau, Anand stated and left to make the preparations. Meanwhile, the Goenkas and Birlas, sans Mimi, Arohi and Ruhi had gathered outside, awaiting news about the kid that had made a place in their hearts in such a short time.

Abhimanyu, Akshara and Abhinav stood shell-shocked as the world around them faded away. Abhir. Danger. Surgery. Three hours. They weren't prepared, and neither was Abhir. Abhinav broke down seeing his nikkeji lying there. Not being able to control his emotions any longer, he left the room for some space.

Akshara looked over at her son, her miracle baby lying in his oversized hospital gown. Caressing his head, she broke down. Her son was too small to go through all of this. He deserved to be a normal 6 year old. Playing outside, being mischievous, making memories; not lying in the hospital fighting for his life. Why was life so cruel? Her son had always been such a good boy, wise beyond his years. He didn't deserve this. She wiped her tears, putting on a brave face for her son. She couldn't falter now, not when her son needed her the most. She leaned her forehead against his and whispered, Abhir, tum toh mumma ke strong bacche ho na? Please, mumma ke liye strong rehna. Mumma tumse bahot pyaar karti hai. Bahot zyaada. 

She looked over at Abhimanyu, who seemed to be in a trance of his own. She could see that knowing he'd have to operate on his own son was internally killing him.

Abhimanyu stumbled back, losing his footing for a brief moment, his body rocked by the sheer force of the unexpected revelation. His son needed immediate surgery. Surgery that only he could perform. He looked over to his son, and an insurmountable pain creeped up in his chest. How was he supposed to operate on his own son? His eyes met Akshara's which reflected the same emotions he was going through. The fear and pain of losing their son, the miracle baby who had fought against all odds to be here.

Just then, a nurse came in, breaking their reverie. Sir, please jaldi kijiye. OT almost ready ho chuka hai, she said, and left to make the final preparations.

Abhimanyu nodded, and walked back to his cabin to get ready. He passed his family on the way who tried to talk to him, ask him what was going on, but he couldn't hear, couldn't even respond. His mind focusing only on his son, and not losing him.

Going through motions, he got ready in his scrubs and looked into the mirror, trying to will himself to not give up, to fight and save his son. He tried to take deep breaths, calm himself, but he just kept seeing flashes of the time spent with Abhir, his Junior. In such little time, Junior had made the deepest impact on his heart, and now, he feared losing him, just as he'd lost others.

Akshara walked through the cabin doors, and Abhimanyu turned, showing her his shaking hands. His eyes pleading with her to help, to give him some assurance that he'd be able to save his son, their son. She took his hand in hers, silently steading it. Providing him the support and strength she knew he possessed. She handed over a card Abhir had made, one that depicted how his son saw him. 

As his savior. His DocMan.

You can do this Abhimanyu. Tum sabse best surgeon ho, aur mai jaanti hu ki tum Abhir ko kuch nahi hone doge. Tum bacha loge humaare bete ko. Mujhe tumpe pura vishwaas hai, aur Abhir ko bhi, she reiterated. He nodded his head, astonished that she still had faith in him. Junior ko kuch nahi hoga, mai kuch hone nahi dunga. He repeated the mantra. The mantra he kept repeating to himself. With this newfound hope, he walked towards the OT. For the biggest test he would face as a doctor. The biggest test he would face as a father.

She noticed herself in the mirror, her hair in disarray, dried tears staining her face. She finally let her guard down, breaking down in sobs. She had been strong for her child and for Abhimanyu, but she also had a breaking point. This was her child, one she had brought into this world with so much difficulty. It gutted her that he was in pain, that he was fighting for his life. After a few minutes, she steadied herself as much as could and made her way outside. Maybe she could lean on her family to support her in this difficult time. Maybe she would be held and provided assurance that her baby would be okay.

As soon as Abhimanyu entered the OT and saw a glimpse of his Junior, his resolve started to weaken again. This was his child for god's sake! He hadn't even gotten time to know him, for his son to know his father. He hadn't gotten time to process the enormous ask of operating on his son. How was he supposed to hold the scalpel, to cut into his son's little body? His eyes started tearing up, blurring out his vision to the hustle and bustle in the room. He stood rooted while nurses and assisting doctors tried bringing him out of his stupor, asking for him start operating.

Akshara slowly made her way out to the waiting area, looking exhausted already, her emotions draining her. She looked out to see her Bade papa providing support to Abhinav, her Badi ma being held by Kairav bhaiyya and Muskaan. Even Manjari aunty had Shefali bhabhi and Mahima ji trying to calm her down. She stood alone in a corner, isolated from everyone, not once being acknowledged. No one asked how she was holding up. No one asked if she was even okay.

Dr. Rohan, sensing his Abhimanyu sir was not coming out of his daze, made a judgement call. He knew there was only one person who would be able to break through to him, to provide him the strength he needed to operate. He ran out to the waiting room, seeing the worried faces from the families. Not caring to explain, he walked past them heading straight to the person he was looking for.

Akshara ma'am

Please, aap chaliye mere saath. Abhimanyu sir ko aapki zarurat hai. Please. He requested, shocking the family and Akshara. She could sense the urgency in his tone, his eyes showing fear. Without another thought, she started making her way towards the OT. Getting changed into scrubs, she pushed through the OT door.

Abhi.... 

~~~

A/n: Hello! Hope you liked this story. Sorry if this was a bit slow and below expectations, but I wanted to set the premise. This will probably be shorter than the last one, maybe another 2-3 parts. Do let me know what you think so far. Thank you!