Chapter 46 - Desperate Times

"The plan's completely fallen apart," Aizawa confessed. "We presumed that since we had summoned so many pro heroes that we could overwhelm them with numbers alone.

Initially, things went well. Since we didn't give any warning, the villains had no time to apply the Trigger, making them easy to deal with. However, villains deeper into the compound picked up on the raid and applied the Trigger just in time to face us. From then on, it was an uphill battle. Not only that but the maps of the facility are completely useless due to one of Overhaul's minions, a villain by the name of Mimic. He can possess objects and control them whilst possessed. Normally he can only control small objects such as mugs and chairs. We believe he took Trigger and has possessed the walls of the facility since the layout of the compound keeps changing."

Noire nodded for a moment before ending with, "So you're screwed."

Aizawa chuckled. "Pretty much. The main force got separated due to Mimic's effect, resulting in our attack power being severely lessened. Rock Lock got stabbed by Toga, as you saw, but last I saw, Lemillion was headed directly towards where Chisaki's main quarters should be."

Going right for the source, hmm Lemillion, Noire thought to himself. He was about to pull out some of his healing salve for Rock Lock when he heard voices above him. Voices that sounded all too familiar. "Stay here," he commanded, before using his grappling gauntlets to launch himself into a hole in the ceiling. There he heard two distinct voices: Twice and Toga.

"Yeah, these mafia guys are pathetic," Toga proclaimed for all the world to hear. "Honestly I'm not surprised the heroes underestimated them, they're weak as hell!"

"Yeah, I bet they couldn't even rob a newsagent right," Twice continued, somehow managing to not contradict himself.

What are they doing, Noire wondered. Why would they sell out their business partners? But upon listening to them some more, it became obvious what was up. Alright, I'll play along...

"...Especially that Chisaki guy," Toga yelled out. "He's the most pathetic of the bunch!"

"WHY YOU LITTLE-" Mimic cried out, launching from the walls. He had heard the conversation they had been having and whilst he could contain his rage at being mocked, mocking Overhaul was a completely different matter. "WHEN I'M DONE WITH YOU-"

He couldn't finish the threat as Noire leaped behind him and knocked him out with a single kick. Mimic wasn't a particularly powerful individual, so one kick was more than enough for Mimic to fall to the ground unconscious. Noire looked around hoping to catch sight of Toga and Twice, but they had already vanished. "Another day, you two..."

Rock Lock was just coming to when Noire returned carrying an unconscious Mimic. "Eraser, who's that?"

"I'm Noire," he replied. "A vigilante who wants to protect his people."

Rock Lock was still a little bit suspicious of this newcomer, but Aizawa noticed the look in his eyes and continued with, "It's all right Lock, I trust him." After another moment of tense analysis, Rock Lock relaxed. "Well, if you trust him-" He looked over to Noire, eyes narrowed in determination, "-then let's go find Overhaul and bring him down."

Meanwhile...

"You're infected, Lemillion." Overhaul cried out. "And I am the cure!" He slammed his bare hand on the stone floor, causing spikes to erupt from the ground. "I will cure ALL of humanity from your loathsome disease, starting with you!"

Mirio was easily managing to dodge the piercing spikes using his permeation, and he had managed to defeat Nemoto and Chrono, Overhaul's most trusted assistants. However, he could not get close enough to Overhaul to do any real damage. He had contemplated using One For All to increase his damage output, but the building was too structurally unstable to use it safely. For now, all he could do was keep Overhaul distracted long enough for help to arrive, but that was becoming harder and harder with each passing second.