Chapter 42 - Nighteye

"Remind me why we're going to Sir Nighteye's agency?" Deku asked. He wore his good old "bored" expression, but it had been so long it felt almost alien to him at this point. Since he was out and about, he wore a casual white tee shirt and brown trousers alongside some tan boots. He also wore some mirrored sunglasses he had picked up from a local shop.

"Sir Nighteye wants to meet you," Mirio answered. "He's quite interested in you, and you both know about One For All, so I thought you might have some common ground."

"Uh huh," Deku responded, his mind racing at the fact he was meeting one of the strongest heroes in Japan.

"Although I should warn you," Mirio continued. "Sir can be a bit strict at times, so-"

"I'm only here to answer whatever questions he has and be done with it," Deku answered. "Impressing him is quite far down on my to-do-list."

"Oh, okay," Mirio responded, a smile on his face. It's so strange, Mirio thought, that someone in the prime of their life can be so... drab and miserable.

...

"So where is Sir Nighteye," Deku asked as they walked through the building doors.

"Today's Thursday. Sir will have just finished lunch and will be receiving his report from Bubble Girl." Mirio ran through the day's itinerary. "If I recall correctly," he continued as they turned down a corridor, "then Sir should be right through this door." They stopped in front of an ordinary looking door. There was nothing special about it. No nameplate or engravings to specify that this was Nighteyes office. It was isolated. Deku could relate.

"Alright, let's get this done." Deku opened the door and was met with a bizarre sight. The room itself wasn't that strange. It was pretty standard: a desk with a chair behind it, two chairs in front of the desk and All Might posters on the wall. Albeit, there were quite a few of said posters, but Sir Nighteye was All Might's former sidekick, soooo... What was bizarre was the inhabitants.

"So you can laugh, and quite heartily at that, hmm?" A tall, stern man stood in front of a blue-skinned girl who was strapped to a metal device. He held a tickling stick and seemed to be tickling her exposed stomach.

"PLEASE SIR!" she cried out between fits of laughter. "PLEASE STOP! PLEA-EA-EASE!"

"That's Bubble Girl," Mirio whispered to Deku. "She's Sir Nighteye's sidekick. It seems she wasn't cheerful enough to make Sir smile. Hey Sir," Mirio suddenly called out. "I brought you that problem child I told you about. The villain teacher, remember?"

The man quickly turned to face the two. His hair was a deep lime-green with random yellow streaks. He wore round glasses, giving him an air of distinguishment, but his eyes were those of a cold, uncaring analytic. He wore a white suit and trousers, with a random red-and-white spotted tie to add a splash of colour. "What are you doing here?" he asked, the intense look of... not hate or disdain... but a mix of the two.

"Is that any way to talk to a guest?" Deku responded, his voice level and calm. "As I understand it, you summoned me here anyway."

"Uuh Deku," Mirio said as he freed Bubble Girl from the machine. "I wouldn't talk to Sir Nighteye like that."

The two individuals stared down at each other, neither giving the other an inch to exploit. They simply observed each other, learning the other from the outside in.

"Uuh, we'll just go." Mirio led Bubble Girl out of the room to give the two authorities room to talk.

"Hey Mirio," Bubble Girl said, wiping the last of the tears from here eyes. "Who's that?"