Chapter 39 - Number 9

Deku awoke in the familiar sheets of the U.A. Infirmary, the familiar smell of disinfectant in the air. He felt the familiar sensation of his muscles screaming for a longer rest and the familiar annoyance that his body still wasn't used to his... extreme lifestyle. Yet when he opened his eyes, he was met with an unfamiliar sight: two students at the foot of his bed, both eyeing him with unease and anxiety. Or rather he wasn't used to seeing this sight immediately upon waking.

"Ms Hado, Mr Amajiki." Immediately they were on guard.

"Don't you dare move," Neijre Hado said, hands outstretched and ready to launch her signature lightning.

"Yeah, just... stay there," said Tamaki Amajiki, his arms outstretched and fingers extended to form squid-like tentacles. "Don't try to hurt Mirio again."

"Relax, I won't," Deku said, closing his eyes for another few moments of rest. "He's already proven himself worthy of being U.A's number one. I look forward to seeing him in action."

"Well it's too bad you'll be in jail when he becomes a Pro Hero, isn't it?" Ms. Hado answered, her arms never moving from their 'standby phase'.

"No, he won't," came a voice from the doorway.

"Sensei," Mr. Amajiki said, surprised at Aizawa's appearance. "Wait, what do you mean he won't be in jail? He attacked Mirio."

"Yes, to test his strength and ability to be a hero." Aizawa turned to face his colleague, who was intently listening to the ensuing conversation. "Since you evidently aren't aware, this is Deku. He is a teacher of Class 1-A and 1-B, and a... retired villain."

"WHAT?" Ms. Hado exclaimed. "He's the villain teacher?!"

"That's correct. He appeared as a villain to make sure Mirio wouldn't hold anything back against him, and ensure he would see Mirio at his full strength." 

Recovery Girl, who'd been typing away at a computer for this time, sighed in exasperation. "I wish you'd have told Aizawa about your plans beforehand. That said, I'm not surprised by them. At least you bothered to tell me about them and prepare two beds for you."

"So he's the villain teacher, huh?" spoke the face above Deku's bed. Everyone jumped back in shock. "Relax guys, it's me," Mirio added, emerging from the wall. As Recovery Girl shuffled over to try and get him back into his bed, he turned to face his ex-opponent. "You know, when I saw you yesterday I thought you were a student. You look so young."

"Well I am about the age of most first-year students, so that makes sense," Deku said, nonchalantly.

"Woah, really?" Mirio asked as he disappeared behind the separation curtain between their two beds. "I never would have expected such a powerful individual to be so young."

Have you seen yourself lately, Deku thought to himself before replying, "Well that makes two of us. You really got a second wind near the end, didn't you? If I didn't know better, I'd think you had a strength-enhancement quirk of some sort."

"Huh, it wasn't that impressive. I just... couldn't bring myself to accept defeat."

Deku smiled. "An unwavering will is very impressive. In most cases, it's extremely stupid to have since most people don't have the strength to back it up and end up getting themselves killed. You, however, have refined your quirk so well that you can afford to keep fighting against even the most powerful of villains without being squished like a bug."

"Indeed he can," came a new, weary voice from the entrance.

"All Might!" Mirio cried out as All Might entered the room. "You came to see lil' old me?"