Chapter 100: We're in this Together

River's POV:-

The next morning was interesting to say the least. I was sat on the couch beside Sal, his eyes locked on the window clearly thinking about something in depth. Travis was still sound asleep in my room, occasionally waking up to have a drink of water or something small to eat. Larry was sat on the opposite couch, fiddling with his fingers and avoiding my gaze at all costs. It felt unusual in the room, like no one really knew what to say to one another. We hadn't sat in silence for this long before. I wanted to speak, I wanted to fill the dead air in the room but at the same time - I had no idea what to say.

My mind kept returning to last night, waking up to get a glass of water and hearing Larry groaning from the couch. I had no idea what it was at first, whether it was a nightmare or just a deep sleep dream that he's had many times before... that's why I was so shocked when I heard my name follow. Now, like any person who hears their name, they get up to investigate. Especially when I have Travis in the next room who could call whenever. When I saw him completely flat out, moving his head side to side I immediately thought, he's having a nightmare. I've seen it countless times with Sal and he says I do exactly the same... but Larry's was slower, more intense. I didn't want to startle him as they often say don't wake someone who's having a nightmare... and that's when I heard his soft moans. My name, a few times, getting more and more passionate with each utter. It kept repeating through my brain, his husky voice tickling my eardrums and making my hairs prick up on the base of my neck. I kept trying to avoid the thoughts, avoid whatever he was saying but I couldn't. I don't know how long I was standing there for, watching his mouth call for me, whisper to me and invite me in.. but it was addictive. I felt so much guilt about it. Why was I standing there watching my best friend dream about me? Why did I want to know exactly what was happening? Why didn't I want him to stop...

Obviously, Larry had no idea that I knew he was clearly having a sex dream about me, I didn't want to make it awkward for us both but at the same time, I didn't want to think about it anymore. I couldn't think about it anymore because it was wrong. It was wrong of me to be curious about this whole thing. It was wrong of me to think about Larry when I had the best boyfriend in the world sitting right beside me. Sal looked after me, cherished me and loved me with every bone in his body. I loved him back. I was happy with Sal. He was my person and we had a connection like no other. We felt things others didn't feel, we shared powers that no one else shared, we were going to stop all this together. Just by being together. So why the fuck was my mind returning to Larry's moans? Fuck sake River. No. This isn't right.

"Riv?" Sal looked to me sweetly, smiling softly and rubbing his hand on my arm. "You ok?"

"Y-yeah I'm fine. Just lost in thought for a moment there..." I smiled back, happy to see his comforting expression. "So much going on, my brain can't keep up with it all..."

"I can imagine..." he paused, looking to Larry for a moment. I watched his eyebrows raise, giving him a hinting look whilst trying to be inconspicuous. Did he know? Did he know about last night? Did he hear Larry? Sal turned back to me, giving my arm a little squeeze before looking down to my lap. "Riv, we um. We wanted to know if anything else had happened when we weren't around?"

"What do you mean?" I questioned, my eyebrows furrowing. What exactly did they mean by this?

"Did anything else happen the night Travis turned up? Anything unusual happen?" Sal continued, trying not to sound accusing.

"Besides Travis half dead on my bedroom floor, nothing else happened. No one came to the door, no one contacted me, it was just Travis and I here. Why? Did something happen downstairs?" I leaned forward, now looking directly at Larry. "Has something else happened since Travis turned up?"