Chapter 91: Ghost of Michigan's Past

Larry's POV:

She had been with the Chief for around 40 minutes now. I was starting to become very agitated and couldn't keep my right leg still for the life of me. The clock continued ticking, each minute feeling longer and the sound growing louder. It felt as if the ticking was echoing throughout the quiet, eerie space of the police station's reception. Fidgety, restless and fighting all my urges to go and speak to the receptionist, ask her how much longer it would take... but I couldn't tell if it was safe to do so. 

I bashed my knee against my palm more so than I could count, no one else had come into the waiting area since River, Sal and I first arrived... must be a slow night of crime for Nockfell, what a shocker. I couldn't help but feel the other dude across the room keep staring me out... his eyes drilling holes into the side of my face, making their way into my brain to see what the hell I was thinking about. I tried to ignore them but internally I wanted to stand up and ask what his problem was. Why was he so focused on me? Did he know me? Did he know River? Was he working with the cult and wanted to give them insider information? Shit Larry, you sound fucking insane. Get it together you dope head. I pulled out my phone, the brightness blinding me for a split second before my retinas finally decided to sort themselves out. 

1 new message. Sal. 

I opened my phone and saw 'nothing new. no one inside or out'. I was slightly relieved to hear that nothing was going on for him outside. It was one thing less we had to worry about. I mean, Sal was essentially a sitting duck out there, fuck knows what crazies could've come over to him. Luckily, we seemed to be in the clear. For now anyway. Ticking, that fucking ticking is getting on my last nerve. The kid staring at me was also making my blood boil. Come on Larry, do this for River, remain calm and collected. Wait here for her, just like you promised and she'll be out as soon as possible. 

"Mr Campbell.." the receptionist called to the dude staring me out. "Come and sign these forms please and you're free to go..."

I watched him scramble to the desk, trying to avoid my gaze despite staring me down for the past 40 minutes. What the hell was this dude in here for? I'd never seen him around here and surely it couldn't have been that bad that he was allowed to just wait in the waiting room without any cuffs. I could just about hear his deep voice speaking to the receptionist, checking exactly where to sign and what he needed to do with the forms. I couldn't really make out all the words but clearly this dude has never been in trouble with the law before. I mean look at him, a kid like that obviously came from a family that had a decent amount of money. His clothes looked fresh and new, his sneakers looked as if they had never been worn outside of his mansion before. It was obvious he wasn't from around here. Not one person I have ever known has looked this clean and cut before. Not even Travis and his Dad is probably one of the wealthiest by Nockfell standards. Come to think of it, considering how much the Phelps family probably had, Travis never seemed to wear anything designer or particularly eye catching. I mean damn, he was always wearing that disgustingly ugly purple sweater and the damn skinny blue jeans. But this kid, he was like a richer version of Travis. Let's just hope he isn't as big of a douchebag.

10 more minutes passed before finally, the doors began to open. The chief walked into the area first, but no sign of River. My heart skipped a beat thinking, oh fuck I've let her walk into the lion's den, but moments later she appeared. She looked completely wrecked, like she had cried and cried all that time and obviously, it was her dad's truck. I slowly stood up, catching her eye contact and immediately rushed over to her, wrapping her up in my arms and stroked on her beautifully thick, platinum hair. 

"Hey, you ok?" I whispered to her, her arms clutching me tightly and giving me a little squeeze. 

That was everything I needed to know, she wasn't ok and she didn't want to talk about it right now. Sal and River had similar tells to show when they were uncomfortable or upset, it was one of the things I think that brought them together. I whispered to River to go and have a seat, let her just have some breathing room for a minute but she shook her head.