Chapter 73: The Return of Sal Fisher

Sal's POV:-
"Something's happening Jim! Something isn't right!" I gasped looking around the hospital room seeing bolts of power shooting past us.

"Hold her tight Sal!" Jim screamed and ran back to the window, a scared look appearing on his face. "They're coming! You need to get through now!"

I pressed my head hard against River's, holding the sides of her face tightly and gently caressing her cheeks with my thumbs.

"You got this my darling, I'm so sorry..." I whispered to her. "I won't ever do this to you again, I promise.."

As I just about finished my sentence, a cold and thick gust of air flooded the room as the window shattered and the glass landed on the floor. I lifted my head, moving my eye in line with Jim as the lifeless souls began to flood into the room. My heart rate intensified as Jim drew a strange looking contraption from his jacket and began to aggressively swing the souls away. They started to roar and screech as some of them almost melted as Jim's defence collided into them.

"JIM!" I roared as one came behind him. "BEHIND YOU!"

As Jim turned, a tall, thin soul came round and threw him hard across the room. I wanted so desperately to run to him but River began to shake uncontrollably under my touch. I didn't know what to do, save Jim or get myself home.

"JIM!" I called out to him as he was now completely out of my sight. "I'M COMING!"

"NO SAL" Jim screamed and threw his long sword defender across the room before appearing, wounded. "I got this" he turned and thrashed the creature, melting it to the floor as it became merely a puddle.

"You're going to get hurt! Get out of here!" I panicked as I held River tightly in a hug so I could see Jim and try and comfort her.

"Focus Sal!" Jim screamed as more souls began to flood and aim for him. It was too much for him to handle.

The room began to shake, the air becoming so incredibly thick and hard to breathe in. More souls crept in through the window before the walls around us began to crack and a gloomy light began to radiate the room. It was nightmarish and I was absolutely terrified. Jim continued to swing, striking a few before a larger one came from behind him, grabbing him tightly and taking a large bite from his shoulder blade. Jim's roars of pain pierced my ears as the tears began to stream from my face.

"NOOOOOOO" I screamed, squeezing onto River tightly and feeling a burning heat flow through my veins.

Jim continued to roar as the other souls began to suck on his weakness as the larger being tightened his grip. I couldn't take it anymore, if coming back to my side meant Jim losing his soul forever it wasn't worth it right now, we would find another way. I let go of River, still feeling the burning sensation through my body as I began to bolt in Jim's direction. The closer I got, I saw the glimmer of Jim's weird sword on the floor which caught my attention. I picked it up, dodging all the souls I could as they hauntingly squealed as I got closer. I was inches away from Jim and the larger creature and suddenly I felt the urge to jump. I followed my body's instincts, jumping high in the air, wielding the sword with both hands as I roared Jim's name as I came down with a blow. As the sword connected with the large soul's head, a bright blue light formed around me as well as a surge of power flowing through my veins.

The large soul, as well as the other smaller ones around me, made a horrific popping noise before exploding and producing a large amount of goo across myself and the room. I flicked my long hair from my face, wiping away some of the soul that was left on my skin. I ran to Jim's side, he was panting in agony as I lifted him slightly to look at me. As his painful gaze connected with my eyes, his pupils dilated and his jaw dropped.