Chapter 13

Abu Talha reported:
While we were sitting in front of the houses and talking amongst ourselves, Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) happened to come there. He stood by us and said: What about you and your meetings on the paths? Avoid these meetings on the paths. We said: We were sitting here without (any intention of harming the passers-by); we are sitting to discuss matters and to hold conversation amongst ourselves. Thereupon he said: If there is no help (for you but to sit on these paths), then give the paths their rights and these are lowering of the gaze, exchanging of greetings, and good conversation.

Sahih Muslim, 2161
In-Book Reference: Book 39, Hadith 2

*****

"Ta-da!" Ammar exclaimed, presenting a beautifully wrapped box and placing it in Hanan's hands.

"What could this be?" Hanan wondered, her eyes fixed on the carefully wrapped gift.

"Go ahead, open it and see for yourself," Ammar encouraged, a smile playing on his lips, though he couldn't help but feel a mix of anticipation and nervousness regarding Hanan's response to the surprise inside.

"Alright," Hanan replied, settling onto the bed as she carefully untied the ribbon and removed the wrapping paper.

And there it was, a brand new Canon Camera, the latest model, revealed as Hanan unveiled its contents.

Hanan's anger surged as she shot Ammar a piercing glare. "Why do you keep trying to make me do things I've repeatedly said I would never do?"

"Hanan, please don't misunderstand me. I only want to see you happy and return to your old self, the cheerful Hanan, not this moody version," Ammar said softly as he took a seat beside Hanan.

"It's none of your business what I choose to do with my life!" Hanan exclaimed, handing the camera back to him.

"It does concern me, Hanan, because you're my wife! I have a responsibility to take care of you and ensure your happiness always, and that includes this camera," Ammar responded, extending the camera back to her.

"Ammar, didn't you hear what I said? I don't want your camera. Go and give it to someone who wants it!" Hanan asserted, standing up.

"Why do you refuse to let yourself be happy, Hanan? Why must you abandon your hobby just because your late husband passed away? Did he specifically ask you to stop pursuing photography, or was it your decision?" Ammar inquired, rising to his feet as well.

"You fail to understand, Ammar. No matter what you do, you can never replace Zain in my life. And no, he never told me to avoid cameras after his death. I made that decision because I can't bring myself to take pictures, something he supported me in, something we always did together," Hanan said tearfully, sinking to the floor.

Ammar sat down beside Hanan on the floor and began speaking. "Hanan, you need to realize that just because he's gone doesn't mean you should stop living your life and enjoying yourself. Many people have lost their spouses and continue living, not because they didn't love them, but because they view it as a test from Allah. I want you to perceive this as a test too. I'm not asking you to forget about your late husband, you can always remember him and pray for him. I'm not trying to replace him in your life, I just want to be someone you can lean on, someone who will always be there for you and make you happy."

"Why are you so kind to me, Ammar?" Hanan asked, looking at him.

"Because I love you more than you can imagine," Ammar confessed, and Hanan felt a stirring within her upon hearing Ammar's declaration.