Chapter 3

Narrated Anas bin Malik:
I heard Allah's Messenger (ﷺ)  saying, "Allah said, 'If I deprive my slave of his two beloved things (i.e., his eyes) and he remains patient, I will let him enter Paradise in compensation for them.'"

Sahih al-Bukhari, 5653
In-Book Reference: Book 75, Hadith 13

*****

The gentle warmth of the morning sun filtered through the curtains, coaxing Hanan awake. Before stretching her arms and sitting up, she whispered a dua of waking up.

Hanan had reached a decision!

She had spent the entire night pondering over her choices, even offering night prayers for guidance from Allah.

And what she had resolved to do was to meet with Ammar Sheik! She was prepared to kneel before him if it meant persuading him not to marry her.

Because she still vehemently opposed marrying him and was determined not to break her vow.

Initially, she had wavered about breaking her vow, especially considering the implications for her family.

But upon reflection, she glimpsed a glimmer of hope in avoiding the vow's violation by discussing matters with Ammar Sheik. Perhaps he would take pity on her and choose not to marry her.

Hanan, have you forgotten that he's ruthless? A voice in her head taunted.

"Argh!" Hanan cried out in frustration.

"Now, if I were to approach him and plead for him not to marry me, but he remains adamant, would I be forced to marry him to prevent my family from facing bankruptcy?" Hanan silently questioned herself.

"In sha Allah, that won't happen because Abu has informed me that Ammar Sheik is in love with me. If that's true, then a person can make any sacrifice for the one they love!" Hanan held onto a glimmer of hope.

But, Hanan, you must remember that Ammar Sheik is not like any ordinary person. The voice in her head taunted her once again.

"Would you please just be quiet and let me think!" Hanan snapped, trying to silence the inner voice.

"What am I doing, talking to my inner voice? Is the thought of marrying again driving me insane?"

"Zain, help me!" Hanan begged tears rolling down her face.

After a while, Hanan wiped away her tears and left the bed to freshen up. She wanted to meet Ammar Sheik as soon as possible.

***

"Why are you up so early?" Ammi inquired as soon as she spotted Hanan entering the dining room.

"I have some work to do," Hanan replied, hugging her mother from the side and offering a "good morning."

"Your father just left for work," Ammi informed her. Hanan nodded and took a seat beside her mother, the only person present in the dining room.

Hanan began having breakfast. "Try these waffles, I made them especially for you," Ammi offered her a plate.

"Thank you, Ammi. You're so sweet," Hanan smiled, grateful that Ammi didn't bring up their discussion from the previous night.

"Not as sweet as me," Arif Aali interrupted, poking his head out of the door and rushing to embrace his mother while greeting her.

"Baby!" Arif exclaimed, kissing Hanan on the cheek.

"Gross!" Hanan quickly wiped her cheek with her hand.