47

We're on the road

We're on the road. One of Dawson's friends is driving us home and I must admit, he's a funny guy. I think he's a little high right now, so I'm not sure if that means I'll return home in one piece, but Dawson has comforted me in the fact that his friend, Tristan, is a really good driver.

"So, my girlfriend- well, she's my ex now, but I'll get her back- was talking to me last night, and she was like, 'I can't do this anymore, Tristan. You're too much work.'" Tristan says in a squeaky voice, and I little giggle left my throat as I lean my head on Dawson's shoulder. His hand was on my knee. "And I told her that she was too much work and she stormed out."

"Are we talking about Jazlyn?" Dawson tilts his head.

"Yep." Tristan says, and I lick my bottom lip in intrigue. Tristan looked like a basic London boy with blonde, buzzed off hair and a tall, skinny build. "But, come on, I assured her that I won't make the same mistake twice." He says, and Dawson snickers from beside me. "I make it five or six times, just to be sure." He shrugs his shoulders.

"Tristan's a character." I whisper to Dawson and he shrugs his shoulders, a small smile on his face.

"He's not the smartest person in the world." Dawson says, a little loudly.

"Erm, excuse me. The key to being the smartest person is pretending to be dumb." Tristan explains, but I find it difficult to believe that he is smart. "Guys, you best believe me and Jazlyn are getting married." He sighs, turning up the music playing through the radio on his dashboard. "I might just propose to her as soon as I get home."

"Yeah, don't do that." Dawson rolls his eyes. "Jazlyn hates you, don't forget that." Dawson tells him, but he only chuckles as if it's a joke.

"We have a limited edition relationship." Tristan giggles, and it confirms my suspicions that he is in fact extremely high. "She loves me, really. Sometimes she doesn't show it, but she does." He says, and a weird sadness takes over his voice. I believe that Tristan holds a lot of love for Jazlyn, but he doesn't really know how to navigate a relationship. From what I'm understanding, Tristan needs to work on himself before he can commit to a relationship with Jazlyn, or anyone.

Once Tristan parked outside my house, me and Dawson thanked him and left Tristan's car. Dawson pulled his suitcase out of the boot of the car. My breath shook with nerves as I took Dawson's hand and walked up the front door of my house. By introducing Dawson officially to my parents, I'd also be introducing our relationship and my feelings. It's almost like a death wish.

"It's alright." Dawson says, squeezing my hand as we approach the front door. I look up at him, a small smile on my face. "What's the worst that could happen?" He shrugs his shoulders, and I tilt my head at him.

"They... I don't know." I sigh, resting my head on his bicep. "I can only hope that it goes well." I tell him, and when he sends me a comforting smile, I have the courage to open the door of my house and walk in. Dawson leaves his suitcase near the door until he's ready to take it to Ennis's house.

I see my parents in the living room, watching a show that they're both obsessed with. I clear my throat, and both their heads snap to us. Dad's eyes land on me before they flicker over to Dawson, his eyes squinting in shock.

"Mama and baba, I'd like to introduce you to Dawson. He's my boyfriend." I say, gesturing towards him, and everything is silent. Dawson squeezes my hand. I sigh. My dad stands up, slowly walking over to us and my mum watches from behind, a worried look in her eyes.

To my surprise, baba holds his hand out for Dawson, smiling at him. "Good evening, Dawson. It's lovely to meet you." He winks, and I furrow my eyebrows in confusion when Dawson laughs and shakes his head, shaking my dad's hand.

"As long as you treat my daughter right, I'll welcome you into the family." My dad says, and my eyebrows raise in shock. I glance at mama and there's a small smile on her face as she shrugs her shoulders. I know she has something to do with baba's behaviour. I grin at her.

"It's great to meet you, Mr. Camila." Dawson nods, and baba places his spare hand on Dawson's shoulder, leaning towards him.

"If you hurt my daughter in any way," He threatens. "You best believe I will break every bone in your body." He says, and I pull Dawson closer to me.

"Baba! Hadha fazu jida! Aetadhar lah alan." I scold him, and he rolls his eyes, sending us both a smile before he moves away, moving back to sit on the sofa. "Thank you, mama." I grin at her, and she waves it away with her hand.

"House rule." She gives us a pointed look. "He's allowed in your room, but with the door open. You're not allowed out after midnight, and no sleepovers." She tells us, and my mouth drops open.

"No sleepovers?" I exclaim, and mama tilts her head at me.

"No sleepovers. Unless you want to be a teenage mother, I suggest you follow my rules under my roof." She says, and Dawson rubs my back soothingly.

"It's okay." He smiles at me. "We can live with that." He shrugs his shoulders, and I relax a little bit. "It's not the end of the world, is it? At least we have their approval." He states, and I can't help but accept that he's right.

I've made more progress with my parents than I had assumed, and I should be grateful that they're accepting of my and Dawson's relationship.

"Oh, and Alayna?" Dad pipes up, looking at me. I raise my eyebrows. "I love seeing you happy again."