10

Shit

Shit. This is not good.

My parents are home early. They should be at work right now, but instead, they're about to walk into the living room and see me with a girl. A girl that should not be here. A girl that they would hate to see in their home.

The only thing either of us can do is stand and ready the consequences as my dad walks into the living room. He's talking to my mum but once he sees us, he freezes. His eyes flicker from me to Alayna and then there's a scowl on his face.

"Who's this?" He asks, glaring at Alayna. He looks her up and down and I notice the way his gaze lingers on my clothes that cover her body. Dad's arms cross over his chest.

"She's a friend." I say, slightly stepping in front of Alayna. I can hear her shaky breath and the way her eyes switch from me to my father.

"You're not friends with people like her, Dawson." Dad glares at me and I blink multiple times, not knowing what to say. "Did she stay the night?" He asks, and I cross my arms over my chest as I nod my head at him.

"Yes, she did. You can't control who I'm friends with, but she's leaving, now." I tell him, glancing back at Alayna. Her mouth is widened slightly and I don't want her to witness the chaos that is my father, so I have to get her out of here as soon as possible.

"What are you, Asian?" Dad asked, focusing his attention on Alayna. My gaze falls onto mum, who's standing behind him, a raise in her eyebrow. She glares at me and I roll my eyes. Of course she's going to take his side. She always does.

Alayna's mouth opens and closes, like she's not sure what to say. "I'm Egyptian." She stutters, and I have to get her out of here.

"So you're Asian?" Dad asked again. Is it possible that he had no education? Of course the most racist of people are the dumbest. Alayna, tilts her head to the side, shaking her head.

"Northeast African." She states, clearing her throat. I hide my chuckle with a cough. I see dad's jaw clench. He looks back at my mum before he takes a step towards us. I hold out my hand behind my back, towards Alayna.

"Get her the fuck out of my house, Dawson." Dad spits, and just as I'm about to turn around, Alayna moves out from behind me and crosses her arms over her chest, her eyes facing down. Her brown, curly hair falls in front of her face.

"It's okay, Mr. Anderson." She says, quietly. "I was leaving, anyway." She doesn't look at me as she quickly shuffles past my mum and dad and out of the living room. The whole house is silent until I hear the open and closing of the front door.

"What the fuck, Dawson?" Dad glares at me, and I roll my eyes, grabbing my phone from the dining table. "Having fucking Africans in the house." He grumbles. I know he's probably thinking about the time a man from South Africa accidentally crashed his bike into dad's car, and he's held a grudge ever since.

"Just because you've had one bad interaction with one, doesn't mean you can judge an entire continent, dad." I tell him, and he blinks at me.

"Continent?" He tilts his head to the side and I give up. I throw my hands in the air before shaking my head and going back up to my room. He clearly doesn't understand basic Geography, so he's the last person that should be judging anyone. Especially for something that doesn't affect him in the slightest.

So, to forget about him and my mum and Alayna, I get my work clothes and change into them, deciding to distract myself by socialising with rich people.

***

Gracie is standing at the counter, a small smile on her face when she sees me. I nod my head in greeting and I could swear that her cheeks reddened. Probably from embarrassment.

"Hey, Gracie." I smiled at her, and she continued to stare at me as I grabbed my apron and put it over my head. "How's your day been? There's not a lot of people here for breakfast, is there?" I asked her, noticing that there's barely any queue this early in the morning.

The restaurant I work at also has a breakfast option, but because of how new it is, not a lot of our regular customers know about it.The odd few that are in the neighbourhood have already been served by Gracie's assistance.

I lean on the counter, crossing my arms. Gracie is next to me, on the other side of the counter and she's pressed her lips together, smiling at me. "Go on, tell me what's wrong." She says, tilting her head to the side. She smacks her hand on my arm and I glance at her. Gracie is a very petite person. She has thin, blonde hair and bright, green eyes. Her skin is pale, but smooth, and her lips are thin, but moisturised.

"Nothing's wrong." I chuckled, shaking my head. Gracie rolls her eyes, knowing that I'm lying.

"Come on, we've known each other for months." She says, like a few months of working together correlates to understanding me and knowing me. I roll my eyes, scoffing and turning away from her. "What?" She asks, worry quivering into her voice. "Did I say something?"

"No, you didn't say anything. I just don't want to talk about it." I tell her, grabbing a cloth and a cleaning spray. "I'll talk to you later, Gracie." I say, walking away. I turn the corner and start to wipe down the empty tables even though they're already clean.

Every time I'm alone with my thoughts, my mind always brings me back to Alayna. I can't get her out of my head. She has somehow consumed my entire being in the few weeks that I had known her. As much as I have tried to push her away, she keeps coming back and I don't think I'm as angry as I should be.

It's nice to have her around. The energy she brings to my life is so different to my normal life that it almost feels like a dream. She feels like a dream.