15

Dawson isn't here

Dawson isn't here. I'm sitting in the classroom that me and my friends hang out in, but he's not here. Usually, Dawson sits at the back, either on his phone or reading a book. Today, however, he was nowhere to be found. I stared at the empty seat, hoping he would just show up unexpectedly, but he didn't.

Even at the end of the day, recently, Dawson has been waiting near the alleyway for me, but today, he isn't there. We've already done enough back and forth and I really hope he hasn't changed his mind once again. However, I still fear the worst.

Something in my gut tells me that there's something deeply wrong about this situation and I look around, hoping that he's just running a little late.

When he doesn't show up after ten minutes and doesn't answer the phone, I curse under my breath before I turn into the alleyway and rush towards Dawson's house. My muscles ached as I ran down the street, trying to get to him as quickly as I could. Something's wrong. I can feel it.

Then, I'm outside his door and I realise that it's slightly ajar. Biting my bottom lip, I slowly push the door open. "Dawson?" I called out, but I heard no reply. I step further into the house, carefully closing the door behind me.

As soon as I step into the living room, my eyes are wide at the image of Dawson collapsed on the couch, passed out. There's dry blood matted to his blonde hair and his face is bruised up and swollen.

I drop to my knees next to him, my hand on his neck, trying to feel if he has a pulse. Once I feel one, I shake him awake. "Dawson!" I yell, and his eyes snap open. He blinks a few times, looking around at his surroundings. When his eyes land on me, he sighs, falling back onto the couch. His hands are running through his hair, pulling away the strands that are stuck together.

"What are you doing here?" He mumbles, and I clear my throat. I slowly rise to my feet.

"You didn't show up to college. I was worried about you, rightfully so, it seems. What the fuck happened?" I ask him, worry filling me. I hate seeing him in pain, and this pain... I don't think I can take it.

"It doesn't matter. You should leave." He states, slowly sitting up. He winces, his hand reaching up to the side of his head. I see the cut on his temple, and I gulp.

"You need to go to the hospital." I swallow. "Dawson, that's quite a deep cut. Please, let me take you to the hospital."

"I'm fine, Alayna!" He spits, glaring up at me. I notice how his eyes are wet and there's a tear stuck in his eye, threatening to fall out. "What don't you understand? I've told you so many times I don't want your help." He snaps, and I take a step away from him.

"I didn't want you to get hurt." I say, quietly. Defeated.

"I don't want you around me, Alayna." He says, and my eyes flicker away from him. My backpack feels like a ton of bricks on my shoulders. "Can't you see? You are insufferable, you know that? You suffocate me when you're around. I can't- I can't breathe when I'm with you." His eyes are wide and red.