37

Alayna isn't answering my calls

Alayna isn't answering my calls. I called her as soon as I got home last night, but she hadn't answered. At first, I had assumed it was because she had gone straight to bed, but I also called her a few times this morning. No answer.

Because I was worried, I skipped college and ran to her house, hoping and wishing that she just slept in. By the time I got to her street, I could hear sirens flood my ears, and panic arose in my chest.

I ran faster. Then, when I get to her driveway, shock spins through me and my feet are frozen. Police cars are scattered all over the driveway and Alayna's mum is at the doorstep, crying to an officer. Her dad was behind her, a worried, scared look on his face. Then, his eyes flicker to me, and his face morphs into that of anger. I gulp.

He shoves past the people in front of him and grips my collar, shoving me into the fence surrounding their house. "You." He spits, glaring at me. Tears prick his eyes. "You did this. My daughter is gone because of you."

"Gone?" I gasp, my eyebrows furrowing in confusion. "What- what do you mean she's gone-" Before I could finish, he's being pulled away from me by a police officer and I keel over in shock, squeezing my eyes shut.

Something has happened to Alayna. Something bad. I try not to cry. This is my fault. I look up at the police officer who is looking down at me with a raise of his eyebrow. "What happened to her?" I ask quietly, forcing myself to calm down.

"Alayna was abducted late last night." He tells me, and my heart stops. She was kidnapped. Alayna was taken. "Do you know anything... about what happened?" The officer asked me, and I swallowed the lump in my throat. There's a buzzing in my ears and I can't concentrate and I think there's tears flowing down my cheeks.

"I know who did it." I slowly nod my head, and the officer slowly reaches for his handcuffs. "I know who took her." I tell him, and he sighs.

"I need to take you down to the station to question you." The officer says professionally, pulling out his handcuffs. I hold my hands out and he clicks the handcuffs on, gesturing towards his colleagues. "I'm taking him down to the station." He tells them, but my focus is on Alayna's parents. Her mum's eyes are wide with shock and she takes a step towards me, but the officer holds her back.

"This is your fault!" She yells, her eyes red from tears. "My daughter is- my daughter is gone!" She screams, and I drop my eyes to the ground as the officer pushes me into the police car, closing the door behind me.

After a few minutes, we drove away. I gulp back my tears, closing my eyes and leaning my head back on the seat. We're driving around for half an hour, and then I'm being pulled out of the car. We're outside the police station.

In a matter of a few minutes, I was locked in an interrogation room and I was uncuffed as there's no way for me to leave. A different officer walks in, sitting opposite me. He clasps his hand together and rests them on the table. "Do you wanna start from the beginning?" He asks, and I nod my head.

"Erm... Stawarski is a drug dealer that I got involved with." I say. I can't tell them that it's my dad who is in deep waters with Stawarski because that means he'll get questioned and then he'll either kick me out of the house or he'll batter me to a pulp. "I've not been able to pay him the money he's owed, and he..." I sigh, closing my eyes. "He took Alayna." I finished.

The detective stares at me, squinting his eyes. "Involved how?" He asks, and I shake my head. "The more you withhold, the worse it will be for you." He tuts, and I sighed, running my hands through my hair. "Look, I know it's not you that's involved with this man." He shrugs his shoulders. "Just tell me."

"How do you know?" I asked him.

"You don't look like a drug user." He tilts his head at me.

"What does a drug addict look like?"

"Well, there skin is fucked, firstly." He gestures to my face. "And, an addict wouldn't willingly let themselves get arrested and admit to buying drugs. It's a criminal offence."

"It's a person I used to know. That person doesn't have the means to pay the debt, so it fell on me. Stawarski found out about me and Alayna, so he took her." My breaths shook. "It's my fault." I admit, biting my bottom lip to stop myself from crying. "I know what I have to do to save her." I told the detective.

"What's that?"

"Ten thousand. That's how much he's asking for."

"We don't negotiate with kidnappers." The detective chuckles, shaking his head. "The police have no means to give that man ten thousand of their own pounds." He shrugs his shoulders.

"So... what? You're not gonna find her by searching her room for clues!" I yell, banging my hand against the table. "Stawarski has her, and I need to get her back! He's not gonna let her go until he has that money, detective."

Detective sighs, pouting his lip. "We can't keep you here." He shrugs, rubbing his hands over his mouth, rubbing his hands over his mouth. "You can go home, but I advise you, Anderson, that you don't interfere with this. Let us do our job." He tells me, before getting up.

I stand up as an officer opens the door, handing me back my phone before they let me leave. I walk out of the station quickly, shoving my hands into my pockets as I speed down the street.

There is nothing that the detective or the police or my parents can do to stop me from getting that money and paying Stawarski. I'm getting Alayna back, and then I'm going to do the best thing for both of us. I'm going to pack my bags and I'm leaving with my family.

I have to leave Alayna to keep her safe.