24

I wipe down the table and swat at the sweat on my forehead, running my hands through my hair

I wipe down the table and swat at the sweat on my forehead, running my hands through my hair. The feeling of me and Alayna kissing runs through my mind like a bad dream, and no matter how hard I try, I can't seem to get her out of my head.

I sigh, using more power to wipe at the scuff mark on the table that refuses to get cleaned. I hear footsteps behind me, but I just assume that it's one of the other waiters.

"I wanted to apologise." I hear behind me, and my eyes close. I slowly turn around to be met by Gracie's sincere gaze. I sigh, throwing my head back. Either Gracie is being genuine, or she truly doesn't understand that I'm not into her in that way.

"For what?" I ask, pretending I don't remember our conversation the other day. Gracie gulps, crossing her arms over her chest and leaning on a table. It was almost time to close, so customers were here. This is usually the time where all of us employees hang around and talk about how our lives have been.

"If I said anything that made you think we can't still be friends, I'm sorry." She says, shrugging her shoulders. "You don't need to ignore me."

My eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "I haven't been ignoring you." I told her. "We barely talk at work, Gracie." I tell her, but just as she's about to reply, two other waiters come out, laughing with each other.

"Hey, you two." Jamie, one of the waiters, says, walking beside Ava. "We're going to the bar down the road. Would you like to join us?" Jamie asks, and I glance at Gracie. I think I'll do just about anything to get away from her.

"Erm... sure." I shrug my shoulders and throw the wipe into the wash bucket.

"Me too." Gracie says, and my eyes close in annoyance.

"Okay. You guys can get going, I just need to make a phone call." I say, getting my phone from my pocket. They waved at me before leaving the restaurant. I sigh, shaking my head. I bring up Alayna's number, remembering that I should call her before leaving. I press on the call button and put my phone to my ear.

A frown encases my face when she doesn't answer, and I have to convince myself it's because it's late at night and she's probably at home, safe and asleep.Shaking my head, I follow Jamie, Ava, and Gracie out of the restaurant, down to the bar.

I didn't drink too much, purely because I think I need a clear mind. As much as I would have loved to drown my sorrows in some lovely alcohol, it doesn't seem appropriate to get drunk, especially when I'm worried about Alayna.

I messaged her and called her one more time, but she didn't answer. I quiver with anxiety and worry for her, but I force myself to believe that she's alright. If she's not at home, she'll most likely be with her friends, and I can trust them to look after her. I think.

Gracie's head is resting on the counter as she mumbles something under her breath, her eyes closed. I'm quite wary of how close she is to me, but I'm stuck in place with her on one side of me and Jamie on the other, his back continuously bumping into me as he laughs ferociously with Ava. I groan, running my hands through my hair and rolling my eyes at the situation I've found myself in.

"You know..." Gracie slurs, gripping my bicep. As soon as she feels my arms, her eyes widen with shock and she's sitting up. "Woah..." She wraps both arms around my bicep, and I freeze in shock. She squeezes slightly. "You're so muscly." She gasps, and I quickly move my arm out of her grip.

"Sorry." I mumble, noticing the way her face morphed into that of sadness. "I don't like when people touch me." I told her. It was the truth.

Ever since my body has been manhandled by people other than myself, I just don't like the thought of other people's hands on me. I prefer to keep to myself.

"Why not?" Gracie mumbles, stretching her arms out in front of her. "That's a weird thing to not like." Before I could answer, Gracie stumbled to her feet, her hand on my shoulder for balance. "I think I'm gonna-" She trips over her own feet and I quickly catch her. I feel uncomfortable as Gracie clutches onto me, her arm around my neck. "I'm gonna go home." She giggles, and I sigh, closing my eyes.

Obviously, Gracie can't drive home in the state that she's in, and I can't let her go home in this state. Annoyed, I wrap my arm around her waist and carry her out of the bar and down the street to her car.

"Thank- thank you." Gracie slurs, and I definitely know she's in no state to drive herself home.

"Give me your keys." I huff, and Gracie slaps them into my outstretched hand. Back in London, one of my friends taught me how to drive, but I never bought a car. Reluctantly, I lift Gracie into the passenger seat and drive her home. Her parents took her from me and thanked me for getting her home safely.

Then, I look around and realise that I'm a big walk away from home. Sighing, I shove my hands into my coat pocket and begin my trek down the road. In situations where I'm left with no one but my own thoughts to accompany me, I can't help but reminisce on my past. I can't help but think about how much happier I was when I was in London.

I had my life together, and although I was still a little depressed, I had my friends and my dad had no debts and everything was going well. Then, we moved here and my father started to get involved in drugs. He didn't have the money to pay for the drugs and the money he was making went straight to bills and basic survival essentials.

Just as I was about to delve into the dark remnants of my past, my phone rings from my pocket. I quickly dig it out and Alayna's name stares back at me. It's midnight now. Why would she call me so late?

Shaking away my fears, I answer the call and press my phone to my ear. "Alayna?"

 "Alayna?"