Chapter 70

"Young master."

I turned around and found myself face to face with Marvin. Seeing him made me smile:

"Hi, Marvin. How are you doing?"

The latter started rubbing his head anxiously:

"I couldn't be better. It is a great honor to work for his majesty the Emperor."

I knew that he wasn't being honest but didn't want to push him too much:

"You must be very busy because of the upcoming wedding. I am sorry about that. Cadmael can be a bit... Controlling."

Marvin couldn't hold back a laugh:

"We are doing our best.

-Thank you so much. I am sure that it's going to be perfect.

-Speaking of the wedding..."

Marvin looked away before biting his lip:

"I was wondering if there is anything I could help you with."

I frowned:

"What do you mean?

-If there is anything that his Majesty wouldn't let you do.

-I don't see what you are talking about. Cadmael would never do anything that I wouldn't like."

Now it was Marvin's turn being puzzled:

"So were you aware that your brothers weren't invited?

-What?"

Seeing me lost made Marvin sigh:

"I am relieved to see that you didn't know. I knew that you weren't this type of person. I said so myself to the young Duke, Rubert, when he told me about it. It must have all been a misunderstanding.

-Do you mean that my brothers didn't get an invite for the wedding?"

Marvin quickly nodded:

"Indeed. Rubert was very sad and thought that maybe you were mad at him for something but I reassured him saying that there must have been a problem with delivery. Or maybe... Was it intentional?"

Marvin looked around before bending towards me:

"Was it a cry for help?"

I suddenly backed away feeling uncomfortable:

"No! Why would it be?

-Maybe the young master didn't want to get married in the first place. You are the Duke's brother, if you need help you can always come to your brothers. They would do anything for you.

-Cadmael didn't force me to do anything. I want to marry him.

-I see. Then I could bring your brothers the invites myself if that could help. I know that you are very busy lately and I don't want to bother you more than I already am.

-I see... I am sorry I am not the one in charge of invites but I will talk to Cadmael about it."

Marvin suddenly frowned and I could see what he was thinking:

"I am sure that there has been a misunderstanding. Why wouldn't the Emperor invite the Duke to his own wedding.

-Your family, moreover. Everyone needs their family at their wedding."

I forced myself to smile. I never once thought of my brothers as family but that didn't mean I hated them. They were more like strangers to me and most of the time I forgot that they existed.