Chapter 46-Alphonse's POV

Cadmael orchestrated a putsch in three days. As soon as he heard about Eschyle's marriage he couldn't take it anymore and decided to become emperor. He had been thinking about it for a while but couldn't act on it, scared of Eschyle's reaction. However, things escalated and he couldn't stay put anymore. He wanted to run the castle alone knowing that he would be able to but fortunately Alphonse talked him out of it.

Eschyle forced Cadmael to go to school, being the only person who could get Cadmael to do anything. He was sitting at the corner of the training grounds and Alphonse came up to him worried:

"Did Eschyle not come today?"

Cadmael shook his head.

"He's sick.

-Is it bad?

-He is sick. But soon he'll have the best doctors, don't worry about it."

Alphonse felt something was up and sat down not reassured at all:

"Are you going to kidnap them?

-They are going to be working for me."

Cadmael turned to Alphonse his face solemne:

"I will become the next emperor this week."

This sounded like a bomb but for some reason, Alphonse had no doubt about Cadmael telling the truth. Even though he was terrifying and unreadable, he had some kind of aura that made you believe everything he said would come true. Alphonse liked this about Cadmael and even if he was scared of him, he got kind of close to him during the following months and could even think of Cadmael as his friend. A very dangerous one but a friend nonetheless.

Cadmael told Alphonse about his plan and his real identity. Alphonse listened in silence, not interrupting once.

"What are you going to do? Are you going to betray me or bow to me?"

Alphonse didn't hesitate and went down on one knee. From afar this scene seemed really strange but people had no idea what was really going on between the two of them. Alphonse should have been terrified but he felt excited. He couldn't wait to see things change and happily lended a helping hand.

When Cadmael told Alphonse his plan to kill everyone alone later on, he frowned:

"Your majesty, I'm afraid you can't run in there without a proper plan.

-Why not?

-The castle is heavily guarded with soldiers at every corner.

-I can take them.

-But what are you going to look like? Don't you want to appear like a strong leader? It would be much more efficient if you arrived surrounded by hundreds of men. No one could defy your authority.

-I'll cut them down if they do.

-You can't rule with strength. You need allies."

Cadmael didn't seem convinced. He prefered the quicker way but listened to Alphonse and chose to give him a chance. Alphonse had a day to find all the people available. Hearing this, Alphonse should have been downhearted but he just wanted to prove his worth. He knew the school well and found their sparring classmates, the ones who were against the emperor... He then left the school grounds and looked for people in darker places. Mercenaries, revolutionaries... In only a few hours, a small army was founded. People weren't happy with the way things were and supporting a young prince who demonstrated his strength during the sparring tournament was all the hope they needed.

Among these people was Andrew. Alphonse didn't want to talk to him at first but for some reason ran into him and tried testing the waters anyway. He started off with a common subject and slowly drifted the conversation to something more interesting: