Chapter 30: Thanksgiving

Janelle (Nell)

Nell sat at her vanity as she finished the natural makeup look she found on YouTube. She slid her nyx butter gloss across her lips before rubbing her lips together, nodding her head as she approved of the finished look.

Janelle come get the stuffed bell peppers out the oven for me. She heard Nicole shout from the kitchen. Nell dusted the makeup powder from off her silk robe before putting her brown puffer vest over the cream colored bodysuit that she paired with her brown Bailey bow Uggs.

"You Bring Me Joy" by Anita Baker softly played on the TV as Nicole was cooking the last bit of food.
It smell good in here ma. Nell said, opening the oven door letting the aroma of all the food hit her at once.
The food almost done, I just gotta run the rolls through the oven. Nicole said with a smile as she washed her hands. National holidays were the only time that Nell's family seemed to get along and Nell always looked forward to them because it actually felt like they got along.
Where my sister and Dallaz at? Nell asked looking at the time on the oven that read 11:17AM.
She just left out the kitchen to go put on Dallaz clothes. Nicole said as she stared at Nell's outfit.
What I got something on my face? Nell said wiping her face with the paper towel that was sitting on the counter.
No, I'm just proud of you. You getting grown on me girl. Nicole said as she quickly wiped the tear that escaped her eye.
Thank you ma. Nell said walking over to hug Nicole as she heard her sniffling. Nell's relationship with her mother wasn't the best, but she respected her mother for doing the best she could at raising her and Ashley into the women that they were becoming.

Nell felt a small hand on her thigh, breaking her embrace from her mother as she seen Dallaz at her feet asking to be picked up. Nell crouched down to pick up Dallaz as she stood up face to face with Ashley.

Hey y'all. The food done? Ashley asked as she looked at all the food on the stove.
Yea, mama just gotta put the rolls in the oven. Nell replied as she walked over to the kitchen table and sat Dallaz down with her IPad to play a game.
Ashley nodded her head. Who you trying to look cute for? Ashley asked scrunching her face up at Nell's outfit.
Myself. Nell dryly replied back as she finger combed her bundles.
She must be waiting for Antoine. Nicole said causing Ashley to laugh.
He went back home for Thanksgiving so no. Nell replied making a disgusted face at her mother and sister. The doorbell ringing caused them to look at it before Nell decided to answer it.
That must be yo daddy. Nicole said as she fixed her hair looking in the mirror on the kitchen wall.
Mama chill out please. Nell said as she answered the door revealing Rob on the other side.
Nell and Ashley gave him a hug before they all sat at the table about to eat. Nicole and Rob were never the couple to have a lot of family at their house for the holidays when they were together, and always spent Thanksgiving with just immediate family and decided to carry that tradition.