Chapter 8: Keep Your Distance

•Sunday Afternoon•

Janelle (Nell)

DFMU by Ellai Mai played softly through Nell's AirPods as she was on her break at work.

Nell looked at the clock on the screen of her car. 12:30PM only 3 more hours left. She said as she got out of her car.

I'm back from my break Mr. Frank. She said clocking back in.
Alrighty. You can go ahead a send Trint on his break now. He replied counting the money in the safe.

Nell walked out of the office and headed up to the cash register to go back to work.

Miss. Janelle Coppah? A tall slim woman with a blunt cut bob asked. She had on a grey pants suit with a pair of 4 inch black heels. She placed her hands on her hips as she pushed her blazer back revealing the badge on her hip.
Who's asking? Janelle said as she eyed the badge on the lady's hip.
Hi my name is detective James and I am with the New Orleans Police Department. We would like to ask you a couple of questions about an incident that happened Friday night at the Marriott Hotel. Detective James said extending her arm out waiting for Nell to shake her hand.
Oh shit. Nell said to herself as she took a big gulp, looking at the officers standing behind her.

Excuse me what's going on out here? Mr. Frank asked coming from out the office looking at the officers in front of his store.
We just had a few questions to ask Miss Coppah here about a party she attended Friday night. Detective James said giving Nell a small smile. We would like for her to come down to our precinct for questioning.
My employee does not have to go anywhere with you if she doesn't want too. Mr. Frank said pushing Nell behind him.
Detective James let out a quick laugh. That is correct sir, we were just stopping by to see if it was ok to ask her a couple of questions. She replied looking past Mr. Frank and at Nell.

I'm sorry but I don't fee- Nell started to say but was cut off by detective James.
It's ok. When you're ready to talk please give us a call. Detective James said as she took a card out of her pocket and gave it to Nell.
Thank you detective James. Nell said as she eyed the number on the card.
Nell let out a small sigh as she watched detective James and the two officers with her walk out of the store.