Chapter Twenty Five- Aftermath of the Deadly Silence

Jennifer tried to calm them down as she held Will in her arms. Holding him tight against her chest, she felt as his heart beat raced. She placed her lips beside his ear before whispering.

"I know. I'm scared too baby."

Rocking him, Miss Claycroft eventually took him as Jennifer reached for the phone to call 9-1-1. The phone shook violently in her hand as she fought back all tears and sobs. The ring became prominent as she was then connected to an operator. Discussing the situation as it being an intruder, which was indeed the truth, she had them send police. Now she was destined to wait.

Each second felt longer then the next. When the girls finally calmed as well as Will, she was able to hear the conversation as well as Colin's final words.

"May God have mercy on me..."

The single shot went off and Jennifer stood with a fearful expression. She did not blink or move, she fell apart just then. Her entire heart was ripped from her as well as her soul. But as if the feeling of losing the man she loved was not enough, a sound of slow footsteps crept up the stairs. Armed with a letter opener, Jennifer moved close to the door and saw the shadow of the feet underneath the door.

Tears streamed down her cheeks in a perfect vertical course, not changing or moving for a second. She gripped the opener so tight, it left her hand bleeding. She opened the door as she would avenge Colin. Slowly turning the knob, she went to stab and the man dodged it before taking her arms behind her. She fell into him, awaiting her death.

"Love..."

She turned and began crying. "You're alive? You're alive!"

"Of course. I said for you to trust me."

"I heard it silent, I thought he..."

"No. I had to. He shot once and it was with his silencer. My gun didn't have one."

"When did you get a gun?"

"I took it from the bedside table. Thought I should get one after Scotland, hell after Thomas..."

"Why didn't you just wait for the police?"

"Because now I know he'll never hurt us. I will tell them them the truth how he broke in and tried to hurt us. I won't lie. I did try to reason with him to lower his weapon and he refused. This time, if I end up in prison...it is because I did hurt someone. Not under false pretenses. It's going to be okay. I promise." He kissed her forehead sweetly before pulling her toward him and hugging her. They sat against that wall trembling in each others arms.