Chapter Eighteen- A Bright Light

Colin and Jennifer both opened their eyes to find Cynthia fall to her knees. Her eyes remained open as she then fell onto her stomach. Leelah stood behind her, but they knew her as little Jenny. Jennifer looked to her with a confused expression as she wiped blood from her mouth and lowered the smoking gun in her hand. A set of tears escaped her eyes as she dropped the gun.

"I guess it's a good thing my father taught me how to use one..."

"Thank you." Colin said as he made his way to Jennifer and held her close, pushing her chest against his so he could hold her as tight as possible.

"Make sure they remember me. Even though I didn't make it big..."

Jennifer opened her eyes to see Leelah with the gun against her chin.

"No!" She screamed as she ran after her. "Stop!" She grabbed the gun just in time before it went off. Leelah fell to her knees and began crying.

"I don't deserve to live."

"Don't say that. You just saved us and gave us a chance to be a family again. We almost lost that and you made it possible again. You deserve redemption and I promise you I do not hold anything against you." Jennifer said as she took the gun from Leelah.

"I hurt the two people on this Earth that have been nothing but nice to me...."

"Do you know where our son is?" Colin asked, standing beside Jennifer with sad eyes.

"No." She said looking toward the ground.

"Will you help us find him?" Jennifer asked, now her gaze was to the gun which Colin took from her and placed it between his belt and jeans.

"Of course."

"Only if you do one thing..." Jennifer said as she looked to Colin then back at Leelah. "You never take your own life. We need you and that cannot happen if you are not here."

She slowly nodded as tears streamed down her face.

"Where do we even begin?" Leelah asked as Jennifer and Colin tried to think of what to do or where to go.

"Instead of allowing them to come after us...we'll go after them. Covert, undercover, and undetected. You know where they are don't you?"

Leelah nodded. She led the way as Colin held Jennifer's hand.

"Is it just me or does this feel like a bad movie role?" This comment made her laugh, the only time she has laughed in what felt like months.

"How are you feeling?" She asked him as they walked.

"I think it is the adrenaline, but I feel alright. I just want to get our son back..."