Chapter Twenty Four- Reasoning with a Psychopath and a Hitman

"I know you're here." Colin said as he emerged from the stairs. A single bullet nicked a picture behind his head-just grazing his ear. "Why can't we deal with this like men? Why are you being a coward Gunner?"

"Me a coward? I was not the one who ran..."

"I needed to protect my family. You can never understand that."

"Can I? I have a daughter you know..." His voice finally being located by an emerging figure from the living room to the left. "Rebecca. Although her mother died a few years ago, that little angel is why I do this."

"Really?" Colin made his way slowly down the stairs, closer to Gunner who ironically held a gun in his hand, resting now at his side. "How about when she asks where you've been? And you have to lie to her. Or how about when you have a bring your parent to school day? You can't exactly say what you do...Don't you wan her to look at you with those angelic eyes and be proud of you?"

"She is!"

"Because of lies!"

He raised and pointed his gun to Colin who placed his hands up in defense.

"You don't know anything! You have been a dad for five minutes!"

"I lost my child. The only thing aside from my wife I would give my own heart up for. I can never imagine my life without her or my son. I want them proud of me, thinking I'm a hero or something worth cherishing. I want them to be proud to say my name with no secrets. Can you say the same? Truly?"

"I am doing this alone. I am not here to talk about my family with you."

"We are both family men. Ones who do anything for our children." He looked up the stairs and then back to Gunner. "I know the only reason they are in danger is because of me. If I wasn't here then you wouldn't be."

"You are a smart man-I'll give you that."

Gunner raised his gun quickly and slid his finger back and forth on the trigger.

"May God have mercy on me." Colin said as a shot rang off. A single one. The house became quiet. Dead quiet.