Chapter Twenty One- California Baby

A week had passed as Jennifer, Colin, and Leelah looked for their baby. They faced muggers, murderers, and even twisted cops to get their baby back. Unfortunately, the only thing they found was the dark alleys and cold nights. On that seventh day of that week, Jennifer awoke to the sound of a baby crying. She made her way out in the hall and followed it. For some reason she was drawn to the sound. Possibly her maternal instincts desiring to be in use.

As she made her way further and further down the hall, she found the sound to be closer. Pushing open an ajar door, she saw a woman face down on the bed and a baby in a crib. For some reason, she was overtaken with protective instinct and picked up the child. She froze.

"My baby..." She said with a deep breath before holding it and it stopped crying. As she held the baby's chest to hers, their heartbeats synched with one another. Colin noticed how Jen was gone and darted through until he saw the scene.

"Is it really him?"

She was nodding with tears in her eyes. "What about the woman?"

Colin moved two fingers t her neck and then her wrist. "She's dead."

"Heroine." Leelah said as she curved around Jennifer and took a syringe from the side of the bed. "Overdose." She moved toward Jennifer who appeared physically attached to her baby. "Is it him?"

"Yes! Of all places, he was here...We don't know how long..."

"At least you have him back." She said with tears pouring down her cheeks. "I should go. Give you two this moment..." As she went to leave, Jennifer ran after her. "I wanted to talk to you." She had given her son to Colin who held him as tears streamed down his cheeks as well. "We know you have nowhere else to go."

"No...I can't. I know what you're going to say."

"I doubt that."

"You're going to let me stay with you-I can't. I'm not family."

"That could change. Leelah...Colin and I talked it over various times and we would love it if you would let us adopt you."

"Oh my God...really?"

"Believe me, I was against at first. But you went through all this, even went back to a past that was better forgotten for us. We are so grateful for that. I know I am. Thank you. But please let us do this for you-for us."

Leelah leaped into her arms and hugged her. "Thank you! If you ever need help with the baby I'll be more than willing to. It's the least-"

"Believe me, it won't be easy. You will maintain at least a three point five GPA, get a part time job, and chores-just like a normal family."

"I understand. Thank you."

Moving back toward the room, she turned toward Colin who held out his arms. Jennifer moved to him and nodded as he then welcomed Leelah in with a big group hug.

"Is this your happily ever after now?" Leelah asked as she looked at the happiness in both of their eyes.

"There is one last thing..." Colin looked to Jennifer and she knew exactly what it was.