Chapter 90

JOCELYN'S POV

Once we step out of the car, we are accosted by a swarm of reporters with their mics and cameras. It had taken me by surprise so I nearly tripped on my dress.

But Marcel was behind me to steady me. His hand rested on the small of my back before he pulled me to his side and let his bouncers take over.

As we push into the crowd, he whispers into my ears. "Don't worry, you'll be fine. I can see how nervous you look. Like a deer caught in headlights."

I smile a bit. "I have never experienced this before. You seem to be used to it,"

   "Because I am used to it. I am used to the glam and everyone knows Marcel McReynolds."

   "Of course, they should. You are a great man,"

   "Am I?"

   I nod. He leans in to kiss my cheek which is not right for this moment because as soon as he does that, a batch of reporters hunting for stories rushes towards us.

   "Tell us, Marcel McReynolds, who is this beautiful lady beside you?"

   "She seems to be glowing. We saw you kiss her. Does this mean you both are an item?"

   "To be more forward, I know she must be your secret girlfriend which you have chosen to reveal to the public finally."

   "How the hell do they know all these?" I whispered into his ears.

   He turns to me. "Don't worry, I'll take care of it."

   He decides to answer the reporters with any information he wants to give them.

   As he speaks, I use that opportunity to look around. With my phone gone, there's a possibility that Julian is still texting. I am safe for now because none of the men have reported to him.

   I was unable to switch off my phone because he had sounded like he suspected something. I didn't want to make things more suspicious so I just handed the phone over without complaining.

   My eyes caught a familiar figure of a tall man with dark hair. He was dressed in a pinstripe suit and even from his back view, I know who it is.

   Fuck.

   How do I get to him without Marcel's notice? It is nearly impossible as he is standing right beside me with his arm wrapped around my waist.

   I keep staring at his back, hoping he feels he's being stared at and turns.

   But he doesn't. Another woman is in his arms and when she turns, our eyes lock. She stares at me with a frown before tapping Julian and pointing at me.

   I turn away immediately before turning back to look at him. I can read his expression. He's confused as to why I haven't picked his call. He gestures to his phone.

   I shake my head and when he tries to make another gesture, Marcel pulls me in.

   "Right, baby?"

   "Uhh..." I had no idea what he was saying but I nodded. "Yes. Totally right," Before throwing in a laugh or two.

   The Oriental hotel is quite not what I imagined it to be. Pure crystal chandeliers hanging off the ceiling that have been decorated in the most beautiful plaster of Paris, string lights which I am sure can cost more than what I earn in a month.

   The chairs are made of chrome with beautiful white cushions. The room isn't as cold as I expected it to be. The temperature is regulated.

   Camera flashes go off as we walk and I can't help but admire the beautifully dressed women, the sophisticated men and the wealthy ones. The room smells of wealth. They must use perfumes that cost hundreds of dollars.

   Marcel lowers his head to speak into my ears. "Don't be intimidated by anything you see here, okay? You are you and you are beautiful. Besides, we are not here for the party only. We are here to execute our plans. Is that understood?"

   "Of course."

   We continue walking into the party and when Marcel catches sight of Vito, he pulls me along with him.

   Julian is nowhere to be found but I catch a sight of Davin. He's not the one I need as he has no idea what is coming to him.

   "Vito!" Marcel calls out and shakes hands with him. I notice how fake everything is. It is just to draw attention to them so when things go awry, no one would be giving them glances.

   Vito leans forward and looks around before whispering. "Everything ready?"

   "Like I said earlier on, it is. All that is left is execution."

   "Good," Vito says and drops his gaze on me. There is something about him that makes me feel really uncomfortable. "I need to speak to you. Without her."

    Marcel turns to me. "I'll be back, okay?"

   I nod and he places a kiss on my cheek before leaving with Vito. I watch them leave through a large door and as soon as they are gone, I begin to search for Julian.

   The hall is crowded with a lot of people. I even see some women who had large head gears blocking my view and it is honestly annoying. Wished I could just pull them all off.

   I grab a glass of champagne from one of the ushers before going to stand behind one of the pillars in the room.

   Staying here would give me a bit of advantage as it is a vantage point. I have to do this quickly before Marcel returns.

   "You came prepared."

   Immediately, I turn to see Julian standing behind me. Closing my eyes, I sigh in relief. "Thought I wasn't going to see you."

   "You seem to miss me," He jokes.

   "Trying to be funny when your death is close?"

   "It's Marcel, isn't it?"

   "Yes."

   "Fucking bastard," He growls. "Why haven't you been replying to my texts? Already decided to work for him?"

   "If I was, I wouldn't be looking for you. Besides, my phone was taken from me. I think he suspects me. Which is by the way," I turn to him to see that he is standing dangerously close to me. I push him off immediately. "You fucker! Stand six meters away from me or someone is going to see us. Are you crazy or something?"

   "I'm sorry. You just look really beautiful and all. I must have forgotten why we are actually talking after how everything ended."

   "Now is not the time to talk about that. Time is against us. Now, listen to me."