Chapter 71

MARCEL'S POV

I know she doesn't have so many dresses and I can also read her body language.

She might be the most confident woman out there but she still has feelings and one can feel down at any time. Low self-esteem, lack of confidence is not cut out for a particular person. I feel it at times. Mostly when it is business related.

She doesn't know what's in store for her today though. I am out to surprise her.

As we drive through the city, we talk about random things. I use that conversation to learn about her; places she's never been to, places she always wants to be.

   "I have always loved fashion," She says. It comes up in one of our conversations.

   "Favorite brand?"

   "Don't look at me. I have an expensive taste with an empty pocket."

   I laugh. "At least, you are content. I know you'd be a crazy spender on fashion when you have the money. You don't gratify and that's a beautiful thing,"

   "Is it really?"

   "Of course!" I say in reply. "Now, tell me. What's your favorite brand?"

   "Chrome hearts."

   "Wow. I didn't see that coming,"

   "What were you expecting? Dior? Gucci? Fendi?"

   I nod. "Yeah. A lot of people love that around here,"

   "I have never really fancied their products. They're dope but I'd rather stick with Chrome hearts and Yves Saint Laurent,"

   "You've got really expensive taste, Celyn. Tell me who you got that trait from?"

   She is silent for a while like she is contemplating telling me the truth. Then she sighs and looks at me. "My mother."

   I nod. "Not surprised. Lots of mother's have expensive tastes. Dreams they never live and that's sad,"

   "Not my mother. She's a rich woman."

   I shoot a brow up. Then why is she going through this misery? I don't know whether to ask her as it might be a touchy topic for her but I really want to ask.

   "Hm. That's interesting."

   "You can ask that question. I know what's going through your head already," she says and chuckles.

   "If she has all that money to get what she wants, why are you living like this? I mean, she's your mother and she should pass her wealth down to you or at least help,"

   "I do not need her help."

   "I am not going to ask why,"

   "I have always loved fashion from a very young age. I even dreamt of attending a fashion school. A school of arts like Julliard but my mother started from a young age to tell me I didn't need all that. She made me love business a lot. I don't know how she did it but I think she's a manipulative bitch,"

   Calling her mother a bitch is quite extreme but I stop  myself from speaking about it. She had her personal reasons. Parents can be real bitches most times.

    Like mine. Dying when I needed them the most. 

   "I still love fashion now but I think I'd pick business over it. I mean, what option do I have?" She laughs bitterly. I can hear it in her voice. "I have always been told it's business for me or I won't be successful. She used to tell me about failed fashion icons and how they had to beg for contracts, how they weren't always appreciated, how they had to use their bodies to get spots on fashion shows. A whole lot of nasty stuff,"

   "She wasn't particularly wrong, Celyn. These things happen but I think she was extreme with that. She shouldn't have used that to change your mind about it. I mean, there are several fashion icons that are successful because they walked hard and climbed that tall ladder,"

   "Good for them," She shrugs. "Its sad that I can't venture into fashion,"

   "You still can."

   "How?"

   "I know you'd have your company in a few years to come. Fashion is a business on its own. You can get an online degree and I trust you so much. I know you'd do well,"

   But she is no longer listening to what I am saying. Her eyes are trained somewhere else. "What are we doing in Chrome hearts!"

   She turns to look at me with wide eyes and I notice how her hands tighten around her purse. She is in shock.

   "Shopping!"

   She laughs. "Why did you act like you weren't a fan of them when all these while you were coming to shop!"

   I shake my head and smile. "I never mentioned not being a fan of Chrome hearts,"

   She gives me a funny look and I shrug. I kill the engine and we both step out of the car.

   She looks up at the monochrome building; white and black with a bold, Chrome inscription of the Brand name. She gasps and covers her hand over her mouth.

   "The last time I came here, I was in college and I had to save for two months. I mean, it would have been weird to just walk in there to buy one dress, right? People who come here shop for a lot,"

   Suddenly, her face falls and I face her fully. "What's wrong, Celyn?"

   She shakes her head and smiles immediately. "Nothing. I love this place,"

   This time, I am not going to let her walk in there without knowing why she's looking all sad. Seeing her sad makes me feel terrible and I never want to see her look that way.

   I pick her hand and hold it in mine, staring directly into her brown eyes that seem lighter under the afternoon sun. She's sweating.

   I help her take off her jacket and walk back to the car to hang it on the seat. I walk back to her.

   "You can tell me why you're looking all sullen, Celyn. I'd understand anyway,"

   She shakes her head and smiles. "It's really stupid. Something I shouldn't be bothered about. You said I am not someone who doesn't gratify,"

   "That doesn't mean you can't desire things, Celyn."

   She sighs. "I don't think I want to go in there."

   "Why?"

   "I have only three dollars in my name and that won't buy even a shoelace there. I'd stand there and try to help you pick nice fits though. Just need to get this feeling off my chest."

   I genuinely want to laugh because she looks so cute but now isn't the moment.

   "What makes you think  I came here to shop for me?"

   "Huh?"