Chapter 4: Heart Aches

Sohini:

"Tessa, he's here", I tell her to look at the door by my eyes and she quickly understands.

"He has something to say. Let's go".

I stand up and then we both stare at confused Shayla. She glances at Jake who's hiding behind the wall and only the half of his body is visible.

"Uhm, so this is the boy you told me about. Right Tessa?", Shayla asks as Tessa nods.

"You told her?"

"Why? She shouldn't?", Shayla lifts her eyebrows.

"No- that's not what I mean. Uhm, so you wanna go with us?"

"Actually- I've to do some homework and have to talk with Samantha too".

"Ohhh, Samantha!", Tessa and me both smirk. Samantha is one year senior than us and she's so perfect at everything. She got that short brunette hair and a masculine figure and maybe she likes Shayla but Shayla doesn't care too much. She just considers her as a side chick.

"Um, it's okay", we both say at the same time.

"Yeah, don't mind. I'll join you guys later".

Tessa and me walk out of the classroom as we face Jake. He leads us to the same place he took us yesterday while Tessa and me talk about how Shayla has been acting so weird lately. It's really strange how she tries to avoid us and stays out of troubles. I mean staying out of the troubles isn't a bad thing but I'm her bestfriend and she's mine too.

We reach the secret backyard as Jake takes out of his phone from his pocket. Our eyes widen.

"How you've a phone? Didn't the teacher-"

"Yeah, she took. But this is my extra phone. Please don't say about it".

"Okay-"

"Huh, you've extra phones too? I thought you're a beggar-"

I try to stop Tessa and Jake speaks, "I've more that two phones. I've three, four, five, six, seven, do you want one? You seem like a beggar more than myself"

"You-"

"Both of you just stop!", I yell. "Jake, please tell us if you've any information".

"Oh yeah", he opens the group chat as I look away. I hate looking at the chats but I didn't leave. Baddies never leave. Instead, they fight. "I removed the number from the group and it seems like I only added that person. He or she texted me on June 30, 2020 and i added".

June 30, 2020. Memorable heartbreaking day of my love life.

"But", Jake pauses and frowns at his screen.

We both come closer to him to see what he's watching. "But what?", We both say.

"Although I removed the number, the hatred for you still remains. They're still shit talking. And oh, look what Malcolm texted-"

I take the phone from his hand and turn it off. I look at him with a solemn expression mustered on my face. "Stop".

"Can you please track this number?", Tessa asks.