39: jealousy

kakucho stood outside mikey's office door, hyping himself up before going in to talk to him.

i only took her out today. i didn't do anything wrong, kakucho reassured himself. even if i did, this can't be worse than izana beating me up.

he took a breath before knocking on the door. a moment later, mikey told him to come in.

kakucho opened the door, letting it close behind him as he made his way to mikey's desk. mikey sat in his chair, and instead of being in one of his usual poses, he sat straight up, one of his hands tapping against the arm of the chair.

"sit down, kakucho." mikey told him.

kakucho sat down in the chair in front of mikey's desk, sitting back and spreading his legs. he felt uncomfortable with the situation, but he knew if he showed any signs of weakness mikey would catch on and exploit it.

sure, mikey "owned" you, but he never made any moves to make you his from kakucho's point of view. and considering all of your other.. relations... with the other executives, it would be weird for mikey to be upset over something so small.

mikey let everyone do whatever they wanted, so why would he be any different?

"where were you today?" mikey asked. his black eyes bore into kakucho, but kakucho refused to look away.

"i was out with y/n." kakucho answered plainly.

"you were gone for a long time." mikey observed. "where did you go?"

"we got food, drove around for a while."

mikey raised an eyebrow.

"where'd you drive to?"

"the beach."

mikey hummed in acknowledgement, nodding a bit.

"did anything happen between the two of you?"

the side of kakucho's lips twitched up into a smirk, all the pieces falling into place in his mind.

so that's the way he feels about her.

"why do you want to know?" kakucho asked.

mikey's eyes narrowed at kakucho, shocked the man was standing up to him. sure, kakucho wasn't nearly as loyal to mikey as sanzu, but it wasn't like him to defy him or give him an attitude.

he knew he was toeing a dangerous line. but when it came to you, he wasn't going to back down. especially if mikey was only going to play his game in the background.

"she's mine." mikey reminded him, his voice laced with venom.

the look mikey gave him made a chill run up his spine. in his dark eyes, all kakucho could see was pure, unadulterated jealousy.

"i know." he replied, pausing for a brief moment to consider his words. "nothing happened."

"nothing happened? is that why i saw your lips on my honey?"

kakucho's brow furrowed, but quickly relaxed his face to be impassive again.

why the hell doesn't he call her by her name? he wondered.

"we didn't have sex." kakucho corrected himself. he didn't want to give mikey the satisfaction of knowing every detail, but he would deescalate the situation for now.

"good." mikey said, tilting his head back to look down at kakucho from his seat.

kakucho remained silent, staring back at his boss. he had never seen him so possessive of something before.