20: debrief

when you got back to hq, the other bonten executives were in the common room. koko and takeomi were sitting at a poker table, playing a game of cards and avoiding interacting with their boss. mikey was anxiously pacing back and forth in the common room. he was looking down at the ground, seemingly lost in his own thoughts. it put you on edge to see him in a state of anxiety, but the others didn't seem too concerned.

as the group filtered in, mikey's head snapped up and looked at you all. he eyed every person carefully until his gaze settled on you.

fortunately, kakucho had given you his spare sweatshirt to wear before coming back in. his sweatshirt covered most of the dress, but a small strip of black satin was still visible. more importantly, it covered the marks kazutora had left all over your upper body the night before.

you gulped as mikey's eyes looked over you carefully, trying to see if there were any indicators something happened last night. if he did, he didn't give anything away as his eyes went back to sanzu.

"where have you been?" mikey demanded.

oh, right. i was supposed to go to the roof with him again after we got back, you remembered.

but it's not like you could have come back by yourself, anyway. and mikey had to know that too.

"we stayed the night out there." sanzu said casually.

mikey hummed in acknowledgement. "let me know before you do that next time, haruchiyo."

the group straightened up. mikey never cared what they did after as long as the mission was complete.

but there was one thing different about this mission.

you were with them.

mikey turned around and started walking towards his office. "let's go debrief." he said, his back to the group.

you weren't really sure if you should follow them into mikey's office. you exchanged a look with kakucho, exchanging a look of uncertainty.

"boss? should y/n come?" kakucho asked.

mikey looked back over his shoulder, his gaze impassive on his number 3.

"obviously."

koko and takeomi wrapped up their game and headed towards the door to mikey's office, the main group a few steps behind, and you and kakucho bringing up the rear.

mikey took his seat at the head of a large rectangular table that had booths for people to sit down on either long side. everyone took their places at the table, and you were the last one to sit down. of course, the only open seat was right next to ran.

he looked at you hopefully, but you walked over to takeomi, who was sitting on the other side and had a small gap between him and the edge of the booth. as you approached, he scooted over a bit, but it was still a tight squeeze. you were so over it that you didn't mind the fact the sides of your body was in direct contact with his.

once you were seated, mikey finally spoke.

"give me a rundown of how it went." he ordered.

sanzu cleared his throat, sitting with one of his arms draped over the back of the booth. "it was fine. the supply got to the cargo team and is now being distributed amongst the parties."

"was our intel on building security correct?"

"it was, boss. the building had minimal staffing but plenty of failsafes and alarms. the stash was well hidden, but we were able to smoke them out and kill them before taking it."