21: mixed signals

somewhere in japan, a blonde haired man sitting behind a desk was receiving some bad news.

"how did something like this happen? i thought your men had this handled, tanaka." the blonde asked the other man standing in front of him, his voice ringing out like music.

"well... they came in and completely overwhelmed the guards. it seemed like they knew the time to strike." the other man said, his voice slightly trembling from his superior's intense stare.

the man in the chair hummed in response, tapping his index finger to his chin. he looked up at the ceiling, as if he were mulling something over.

"but..." the other man started, then fell silent.

"what is it, tanaka?"

"um... sir... i noticed something else."

"okay, what else did you notice?" the blonde man prompted.

"it looks like the security system was taken down beforehand, and all the security footage was cut too."

"interesting." the man responded. he wasn't expecting such a turn in events.

"i thought so too, sir. should i inform him?"

"hmm.." he pretended to think for a second. "that won't be necessary. you may leave now, tanaka."

the other man let out a sigh of relief and bowed.

"thank you, sir. it won't happen aga-" he started, standing back up again before a loud noise echoed through the room.

bang!

a look of terror passed over the other man's face before his body fell backward, blood pooling under him.

"useless." the blonde mumbled.

the blonde man took a handkerchief out of his suit jacket and wiped off the blood that spattered onto his face before straightening his suit and leaving the room.

"they're evolving, i see..." he murmured before exiting the room, leaving the dead body behind.

"do you have any questions on what was just discussed?" mikey asked you, looking at you as you sat in the chair on the other side of his desk. he sat down in his office chair with his legs crossed under him.

you thought for a moment. you weren't sure how much he would share with you, but it couldn't hurt to ask.

"the stash house you guys raided last night.. are those guys a rival gang?" you asked.

"yeah. we've been feuding with them for a couple of years now."

"oh, like for drugs?" you asked.

mikey chuckled. he was still pleasantly surprised at how much you didn't know about the world of organized crime. "you really aren't a criminal, are you?"

you gave him a somewhat bashful grin, rubbing the back of your neck. "only in the sense i break the law."

"maybe that's the purity takeomi was talking about." mikey bantered.

"maybe." you agreed.

"what's the worst thing you've ever done, honey?"

"you mean other than hacking into a government database?" you asked, a hint of sarcasm in your voice.

mikey's lips twitched upward. "besides that."

"hmm.. probably speeding? underage drinking?"

mikey chuckled. "is that so?"