Chapter XIII Dimorphous Display

- VERY INTERESTING... VERY INTERESTING INDEED. - Said the Librarian as he stood up from his knees. Doc was still looking around very confused now joined by Bullterier that missed the grand finale of their fight. Gingers, Shubbys and Emilias feet were released from their concrete prisons and they all faced the demon, still unsure what to do. Hedg was finally able to stand up on his own. His wrists were fully healed, although he was still pale and if you paid close attention his hair got a little grayer than before. - VICTORY IS YOURS... SOMEHOW... - Librarian seemed just as shocked as them. He glanced at Hedg and whispered. - VERY INTERESTING SPECIMEN INDEED...
- That wasn't even close to be honest. - Said Ginger confidently while crossing his arms, trying to look tough. Everyone looked at him but he just raised an eyebrow. 
- IS HE IN SHOCK? - Asked Librarian.
- That's just how he is... - Sighed Doc. Librarian just shook his head. 
- YOU WON. LUCK WAS ON YOUR SIDE TODAY. MOST OF YOU PROVED TO BE QUICK THINKERS AND FORMIDABLE FOES. I SHALL REVEAL YOUR PRIZE. YOU HAVE QUESTIONS TO BE ANSWERED, YES... - He looked at them, waiting patiently. They all gathered around him in a semicircle, safe distance away, unsure of his promises.
- What exactly are you? - Asked Em trying to sound tough. - Where do your kind come from? - Demon looked at her and smiled, then he looked up and pointed at the sky. 
- WE COME FROM THE VOID INBETWEEN THE STARS. WE ARE DEVOURERS. BORN OF FEARS OF THE VOID ITSELF. MY KIND WANTS TO BRING THIS WORLD TO ORDER. THE VOID IS THE ONLY WAY TO DO IT. THE VOID ANSWERS ALL CALLS. THE EVER EXPANDING COLDNESS THAT WILL CONSUME ALL LIVING THINGS ONE DAY. A PERFECT SOLUTION TO LIFE. A PERFECT SOLUTION TO DEATH. WE ARE THE GREAT ETERNAL HUNGER OF THE BLACK HOLES. CREATURES FROM NIGHTMARES THAT YOUR KIND IS SO AFRAID OF... - He said and looked back at them. They all seemed eerily focused, it didn't answer much. 
- Okay but how exactly are you created? How were you born? - Doc was scratching his head, thinking about the idea that they actually come from the cosmos. 
- WE COME FROM DARK PLACES... SOME CORNERS OF HUMAN MINDS ARE QUITE DARK. THAT'S HOW LIMBOS ARE FORMED. THEY'RE LIKE GARDENS AND WE'RE THE FLOWERS GROWING INSIDE, WATERED BY THE NEGATIVITIES. WHEN WE BLOOM HOWEVER... THE SIGHT IS NOT BEAUTIFULL, THE CARNAGE STARTS INSTEAD.
- But you're different from others, aren't you? Their goal is to extinguish life. To destroy everything. Yours is quite different... why? - Asked Shubby, genuinely fascinated by what the Librarian said. 
- AS I SAID. I AM DIFFERENT THAN THE OTHERS, I SURPASSED THEIR USELESS HUNGER. I SEEK KNOWLAGE. YOU SEE, I PREYED ON CURIOUS SOULS. I PREYED ON PEOPLE THAT WERE AMBITIOUS SCHOLARS THAT LOOKED TOO FAR INTO THE VOID. FAILED PHILOSOPHERS AND SCIENTISTS. I ATE PLENTY IN MY TIME. I NOTICED THAT THEIR MEAT, THEIR BLOOD... IT GAVE ME SOMETHING MORE THAN JUST SATISFACTION. I BECAME MORE LIKE THEM. IT CHANGED ME. THEIR KNOWLAGE WAS MINE NOW AND I LOST APETITE. I UNDERSTOOD THAT MY BRETHREN WERE DOOMED FROM THE START. I UNDERSTOOD I WANTED SOMETHING MORE THAN JUST MEAT AND DESTRUCTION. THEY FEED ON DISPAIR, ANGER, GREED, JEALUSY... I FEED ON... INQUISITIVENESS. - Devourer seemed quite satisfied with his answer. Almost as if he was proud he knew so much. Prideful even. Hedg nodded silently.
- We have two more questions... - Started Shubby. 
- BEFORE YOU ASK, I HAVE A REQUEST TOO...
- This isn't what we agreed for. - Stopped him Em.
- NOT SO FAST MY ANGEL. IF I AM TO ANSWER, I NEED SOME BLOOD. JUST ENOUGH TO SURVIVE. YOUR'S AND YOUR FRIENDS WOULD BE QUITE NUTRIOUS. AND AS I SAID, I ONLY NEED A LITTLE.
- Worry not. - Said Hedg trying to calm everyone else down. - Am used to that at this point. - He said as he flicked his pocket knife out of his pocket without any emotions.
- NOT YOURS... YOURS REEKS OF DEATH AND CORPSES... - his words shocked everyone for a moment. He seemed disgusted of the idea of drinking their friends blood. Hedg just raised his eyebrow again and hid his knife. - YOUR'S WOULD BE THE FINEST, BUT IT CAN ALSO BE FROM THE MESSANGER... - He said while looking at Shubby. The boy gulped, looking a little stressed and uncomfortable.
- I suppose I can take one for the team... - He said unsure of what to do next.
- COULD YE RAISE YOUR HAND TO ME? - Asked the monster as politely as he could. Shubby complied and raised his slightly shaky hand. Librarian gently tapped his wrist with one of his nails. Everyone stared, ready to fight again. Blood started pouring from a small cut, forming a swirling string in the air that went straight to Librarians open mouth. It didn't take more than two minutes. Shubbys cut immediately sealed as if nothing happened. He didn't feel any different so he sighed with a relief. - APOLOGIES FOR THE INTERUPPTION, LET'S CONTINUE TALKING, SHALL WE?
- So what's the deal with all that Angel, Massanger and other bullshit? - Asked Ginger out of nowhere. - And which the hell am I? 

- GUARDIAN. YOU'RE THE GUARDIAN. RESILIANT PROTECTOR, IMMOVABLE OBSTACLE FOR THE DEMONS.

The monster pointed one of his long, skeletal fingers at Doc. - EXECUTONER, HIS TARGETS NEVER LIVE TOO LONG. 

He pointed at Shubby. - MESSANGER SPREADS THE GOOD WORD WITH HIS LOUD MOUTH. 

He pointed at Bullterier. - THE FIGHTING SPIRIT, THE NOBLE KNIGHT. THE GALLANT. 

He pointed at Em. - THE GODS CHOSEN HERSELF, THE ANGEL. PRESENCE SO STRONG ALL DEVOURERS WILL FEAR HER. 

He became silent for a moment but finally pointed at Hedg. - AND THE WORST OF THEM ALL. TRASSPASER OF THE LIMBOS. THE JAILER... - It sounded almost as if he was disgusted. They all looked at Hedg, to his annoyance, suspiciously. 

- So what exactly is the deal with us? - Asked Ginger again. 
- AS THE DEVOURERS COME FROM COLD NOTHINGNESS. THE VOID. SOME OF YOUR KIND ARE BORN WITH BLESSINGS FROM OTHER HUMANS. THE DESIRE TO LIVE, TO FIGHT BACK, TO PROTECT, TO LOVE AND TO KEEP YOURSELVES SAFE. YOUR PRESENCES ARE MUCH STRONGER THAN OTHERS. EVERY HUMAN COULD FIGHT BACK, YES, BUT ONLY A FEW CAN BE EFFICENT ENOUGH TO HUNT US LIKE YOU DO. IN YOUR WORLD, YOUR UNDERSTANDING, YOU WOULD BE REAL LIVING SAINTS... WELL MOST OF YOU THAT IS. - They all nodded in unison, still quite confused, but it was all starting to make sense to them now. 
- I think we all have one last question. What is the Endless night? - Asked Bullterier with a newfound courage in his eyes. 
- And how do we stop it from happening? - Added Em. Librarian made a weird noise that could be interpreted as a chuckle.
- THERE IS NO STOPPING IT. IT'S INEVETABLE. YOU CAN ONLY BRACE YOURSELVES. I DO NOT KNOW WHEN EXACTLY  WILL IT COME. IT CAN HAPPEN IN A YEAR, IT COULD HAPPEN IN A WEEK. ALL OF MY KIND WILL CELEBRATE. A WAVE OF DEVOURERS WILL FLOOD THE CITIES AND OH WE WILL BE SATIETED FOR THAT NIGHT. IT'S A REMINDER OF WHAT OUR PURPUSE IS. WHAT'S THE GOAL OF MY KIND. ENDING OF ALL SUFFERING. THE END OF OUR HUNGER. WHEN IT COMES... OH WHAT A SIGHT. I REMEMBER THE LAST ONE SO DEARLY. I WAS IN A DIFFRENT LAND, SOMETIME SIXTY YEARS AGO. THE RUBBLES OF A GREAT CITY OF PAIN. STALINGRAD IT WAS CALLED... YES I REMEMBER. SO MUCH DISPAIR, SO MUCH BLOOD. I ATE PLENTY THAT NIGHT. BRIGHT HAIRED COMMANDERS... SO INTELLIGENT, SO PROUD, YET SO IGNORANT... THEY WERE ALL SO HELPLESS... 
- I don't know if I should be happy or scared. He seems to like eating goddamn nazis and that's something to admire. I think... - Said Ginger while stroking his beard with a conflicted expression. No one seemed to find it weird at this point. They all stood in silence, cogs moving in their heads at the highest of rates. 
- Alright... I think we have a lot to discuss when we go back. Besides, I really need a beer. I feel like my stomach wants to burn it's way out ya know. - Hedg broke the silence and sighed. - We shall bid you farwell oh great Librarian. - He said sarcastically and bowed to the demon. 
- A BOW FROM THE JAILER? QUITE A SIGHT. I TOO SHALL BID YOU FARWELL. MY COMPANION GROWS IMPATIENT, WE HAVEN'T FINISHED OUR SANDCASTLE...
- One last question... What exactly is she? - interrupted Em genuinely concerned.
- I TOOK LIKING OF HER. SHE ALMOST DIED IN A TIME OF GREAT DESTRUCTION OF THIS CITY AND I NEEDED A GUIDE SO I TOOK THAT ORPHAN WITH ME. QUITE AN ADVENTEROUS SOUL. - He replied slowly. He sounded like he really cared about that little girl. Em nodded satisfied. 
- Okay then. - She slowly turned to everyone. - You know what? I think Ginger was right. After today, I think no fight will be even close... - She smiled warmly and somehow, even though everyone was tired and beaten, they all felt accomplished. They all felt determined. Everyone but Hedg that was. Hedg looked as if he was trying to contain some kind of disgust. He just closed his eyes and turned his head away. 
- FILTHY ANGELIC PRESENCE. IT'S GROWING STRONGER... IT'S TIME TO WRAP THINGS UP. - Said Librarian and raised his hand to the sky. He snapped his shriveled, skeletal fingers loudly and they all felt as if they were falling inside of a dream. The world started spinning and changing around them and after just few seconds of this insanity, they all stood in front of Bishops tenement. No wounds or bruises remained. They were all well, even the borrowed baseball bat was in one piece. 
- Bishop must be quite worried. Let's go. I got an idea for a new tattoo. - Said Emilia and winked to them.
- Anyone got a watch? - Asked Hedg all of the sudden with an emotionless voice. Ginger nodded and Hedg immediately walked up to him to check the time. - Not even close huh? - He said with a frown on his face. - We've been out for like ten minutes guys. I don't think Bishop will be worried...  - Everyone looked at him confused. 
- There was some ulterior motive to let us live then. - Said Doc. Hedg just shrugged and started walking towards Bishops flat. 
- There was! We will do the talking later because as I said earlier. I need a fucking beer... - Replied Hedg with a tired tone as he was walking away.