Chapter Eight: Planning for the Ball

-

Author's Note:

Oh. My. God. 750 reads!!! Thank you all, I'm so happy you guys read my story!! You're so awesome!!

-

After classes, you left Daphne and Tracey and started to head back to the Great Hall when you heard someone running up behind you. You turned around to see Draco running to catch up to you.

"(y/n)!" he panted. "I tried to call after you when you left DADA, but you didn't hear me. You left your quill."

"Thanks," you said, eyeing Draco suspiciously. He had probably tampered with it. You could check it out later. You stuffed it into your bag.

"So what are you thinking about for a
theme?" Draco asked you once he had caught his breath.

Why was he being so nice to you? This was extremely unusual for him.

"Well, I was thinking masquerade," you told him cautiously as you entered the Great Hall. The two of you were the first ones there.

"Masquerade is so overused. I was thinking something like 'house pride'. Dressing up in your house colors."

You nodded to him, still thinking something was up. Maybe he pranked you. It must have been the quill. You were definitely going to have to check to see if any enchantments were cast on it.

The prefects were just starting to trickle in, sitting around the Slytherin table, looking uncomfortable at having to sit in "enemy" territory.

Once all the prefects had arrived, Draco decided to take the reins.

"All house prefects, attention please," he started. He was really good at public speaking. It was kind of hot.

What?! Did you really just think that?!

"As most of you may already know, Hogwarts is beginning a new tradition of holding a ball in honor of last year's war. It is our job to think of a theme for this year's 'Remembrance Ball'. It's scheduled to occur in a week's time, so we need to move fast. I had the idea of a "house spirit" theme and (y/n) wanted a masquerade theme. Any other ideas?" Draco asked the prefects. It was kind of disappointing that he just dismissed your idea without even considering it.

The prefects started throwing around ideas. Most of which were pretty bad.

"What about a Moroccan theme?" someone suggested.

"We could do a muggle theme? Everyone would all dress in muggle clothes."

"We could have it on some sort of holiday? Then we could just have the holiday be the theme." Talk about lazy.

"How about a theme where everyone would dress as their favorite book character?"

Wow. These were the smart kids?

Draco was just shaking his head at everyone. You was kind of glad he was rejecting everyone. Their ideas were really horrible.

"Let's just vote on either my idea or Draco's okay? Unless someone thinks they have a really good idea that we all absolutely need to hear," you shouted above the commotion. No one looked like they had any more ideas, so you let Draco take over again.

"Okay who votes house spirit?" he asked. About a third of the prefects raised their hands.

"And who votes masquerade?" The rest of the group voted for your idea.

"Okay, masquerade it is. Now let's designate assignments. Ravenclaw prefects, you're in charge of decorations, Hufflepuff prefects, food and drink, Gryffindor prefects, music and cleanup, Slytherin prefects, get the word out about the ball. Do whatever is necessary to make sure everyone knows all the details. Make posters, announce it at breakfast, whatever you think you need to do."

Once Draco had finished talking, you dismissed everyone back to their respective houses.

You and Draco started to walk back to your common room together. You were starting to wonder if he was actually changing for the better. That must be why he was so being nice to you.

"You did a good job," you told him sincerely as you climbed up the stairs.

"Probably comes from following Voldemort. Kind of gives you confidence and good public speaking skills," he said uncomfortably.

"The plus side of being a Death Eater," you joked. Draco managed a small smile. You guessed he still hadn't gotten over his choice. Although, it was more his parents choice than his. You felt bad for him.

You decided to change the topic before it became too awkward.

"So, I guess masquerade isn't that bad after all, huh?" you asked.

"Yeah, well my idea was rather crappy. It was the result of staying up half the night," he replied, smiling at you.

You were about to ask him why he stayed up so long when you realized it was your fault. He had mentioned your screaming kept him up.

"Yeah, I'm really sorry about that," you answered sheepishly.

"It's fine, (y/n). I'm truly sorry about your parents."

You reached Dumbledore's portrait.

"Chocolate Frog," Draco said. "Well, I should probably go shopping for the ball. See you later, (y/n)," Draco smiled a little bit at you before going to grab some money from his room. You sat down on the couch to begin studying for a Potions test you had the next day.

You looked up when Draco came back in and started to walk out the open door. Before going out, he paused for a second, and walked back and kissed your cheek before hurrying out.

You sat straight up, frozen. Draco Malfoy just... kissed... you. Woah. And it felt... good? Even though it was just a peck on your cheek, it still rattled you. It was your first... kind of... kiss.

Your head was spinning. You finally just decided to take a nap and think about it later. Hopefully it would help clear your mind about... what just happened.

When had your life become so complicated?

-

Author's Note:

Thank you all for voting!! Just for you, I wrote an extra-long chapter with some action. I hope you're enjoying my story.

I don't really have any new people to mention, but thank all of you for voting.

Love ya!