Chapter Five: Detention

-

Professor Toll abruptly walked out of his office to see you and Malfoy glaring at each other. He cleared his throat loudly. Both you and Malfoy turned your heads around to face Toll.

"Now, I assume you both know why you're here? Breaking the rules and talking on the very first day. Can't say I'm impressed," Professor Toll told us.

"Professor, I-" you started, but got cut off.

"Ms. (l/n), it is talking that got you into trouble in the first place. Are you trying to extend your detention time?"

You shook your head and blushed while Malfoy smirked in your direction, careful to make sure Professor Toll did not see.

"Very good then. As I was saying, you and Mr. Malfoy will be cleaning the desks. The third years attempted a spell today that got quite bloody. Needless to say, the desks are quite dirty. Don't worry about the students, though. I'm sure Madam Pomfrey will work her magic, and they'll be out in no time."

You were starting to wonder about this new professor. He didn't seem to care about students' safety whatsoever.

"And no magic," Toll added as he walked back into his office. You silently cursed. Cleaning up blood was definitely not how you imagined your first day back would be. You grabbed a rag from a bucket Toll had left out and got to work.

"Curse you, Malfoy," you said to him in annoyance while scrubbing away at a dark red stain on the desk. Ew.

"Hey, it wasn't my fault you got detention. You were talking, too. You could've just ignored me." Malfoy said, just standing there leaning on a desk.

You gritted your teeth. "Aren't you going to help, Malfoy? Or are you going to be an arse and make me do all the real work because a stuck-up pureblood like you just can't stand to get his hands dirty?"

"Nah, (l/n). I'm going to let you do it. You're doing such a great job already, who am I to get in your way?" Malfoy smirked at you as he crossed his arms over his chest. That little ferret.

"Ugh!" you screamed as you threw your rag at Malfoy's face. You missed. Of course.

Malfoy grabbed the rag from off the ground. He looked like he was about to say something when Professor Toll walked in. He must've heard your screaming.

"(l/n)! I'm very disappointed in you! You were supposed to be cleaning, but instead you were bickering with Mr. Malfoy! Ten points from Slytherin!" Professor Toll said angrily.

"But, sir, I was-" you started, but Malfoy cut you off.

"I'm sorry for her behavior, Professor. I was just about to tell her to start cleaning, but she doesn't want to listen." Malfoy painted an innocent expression onto his face as he sucked up to the new teacher. You groaned.

"I really am sorry, Professor. I'll get to cleaning right now." You were also skilled at the innocent face. Perhaps even more than Malfoy.

The professor nodded as he said, "You two are free to go in ten minutes. I will supervise you until then." He sat down on the chair in front of his desk as you got up to grab another rag out of the bucket.

-

After what seemed like hours of cleaning, you and Malfoy were finally dismissed. As soon as you were out of ear range, you started screaming at Malfoy.

"Malfoy, how dare you! You know my reputation as a good student! Why are you out to ruin it?"

The blond rolled his eyes as he walked beside you. "It seemed like you ruined your own rep--"

"Malfoy!" you yelled, sick of his excuses.

"Fine. I'm sorry, (y/n)! Is that what you wanted to hear?" he replied in annoyance.

"Yes, but--" something dawned on you. "Did you just call me (y/n)?" You smirked at Malfoy.

"What of it?" Malfoy said crossly in reply.

"I didn't know we were on first name basis, that's all," you replied, still smirking. Maybe you shouldn't have been pissing him off after he apologized for the first time in your short acquaintance, but you felt as though you finally had the upper hand over him.

"We're not," was all Malfoy said before he shoved past you and walked away briskly, heading towards your shared dorm.

-

Author's Note:

Thank you all for reading my story! I know it's been awhile, but I had a HUGE writers block! I would like to thank
@Skippy_Peanut
@nicolettenatasha @_angel_of_dreams_
and @werewolffangirl
personally for voting for my story.

I love you all!!!! Please review!