8.Game of Life

Original CEO ft Enice

Kanin couldn't sleep...

He'd been awake for a while but stayed in bed. His eyes, tired and half-closed, looked out the window. The temperature difference made the window foggy.

Lying still, he seemed lifeless, like a forgotten sunflower or neglected vegetables on a store shelf. After a bit, his father's voice came through the door.

"Kanin, Nin... Are you still not awake, son?" The question got no immediate response. Kanin swung his legs out of bed and headed to the bathroom, indicating he was already awake.

"Nin, come and eat breakfast first." Another morning greeting that Kanin ignored. After coming downstairs, he found Tattanai waiting in the same blue apron.

The dad looked upset. Finally, the tough man had to sit down and acknowledge his family instead of leaving. They were having a full English breakfast today. Kanin happily ate the grilled tomatoes that his dad had prepared, savoring the taste of the food. His dad, who usually controlled his son's diet, this time let him enjoy everything he used to restrict.

The young man noticed his father's efforts, but Kanin continued eating quietly, not feeling happy despite getting what he wanted. Kanin sensed his father keeping a distance, only approaching when the third bacon piece was gone. His chest felt heavy as he observed his father's actions.

Tattanai, with his skilled cooking hand, placed a caramel candy next to Kanin's knife hand, surprising him. When Kanin looked up, his father turned away. It was Tattanai's non-confrontational way of apologizing.

"I know you want something sweet, Nin, but I can't let you eat too much. Your teeth will decay. So, you can have this as a reward when you accept your own feelings. Is that okay?"

The dad's gentle voice lingered in Kanin's thoughts like an old film. As he thought more, frustration built up with many questions.

It seemed his father wanted him to grasp something. But what? Was it accepting the feelings of anger, disappointment, and sadness from suddenly being someone else, almost like a stranger? Or was it acknowledging that they weren't truly father and son, realizing he'd been deceived for 21 years? What exactly did his dad want him to understand?

The eyes quickly retract, and Kanin grabs the fork and knife. Suddenly, the once-favorite dish loses its flavor, becoming bland. He stands up abruptly, leaving the caramel candy on the table, heading to the sink.

Ignoring the candy, Kanin swiftly grabs his backpack and slings it over his shoulder. He glances back at the uneaten candy but decides not to pick it up. The giver doesn't want to talk or communicate anymore, so there's no need.

Ready to leave, a loud sound from behind freezes Kanin just before stepping out the door.

"Wait, don't go yet."

"..."

 Kanin reluctantly turned back to face Tattanai. The older man took off his blue apron after being away for a while.

Representing himself, the father moved closer. With a rough, calloused hand, he grasped the slender hand of the person he had called his son for twenty years and placed the caramel candy in it.

"Nin..." The first call received no response. Kanin behaved like a sulky child, avoiding eye contact with his father. Tattanai understood; he shouldn't push to win his son over when high walls had been built in his heart.

"Nin, are you really angry with me?" The next sentence carried a mix of question and guilt. Tattanai's dark eyes softened as they rested on Kanin. The person in front remained silent.