𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟐𝟔.

Nunie squints at her laptop screen—her laptop balanced on her bump which serves as the perfect table, as Nunie proceeds to read the email Amelia had sent her

Nunie squints at her laptop screen—her laptop balanced on her bump which serves as the perfect table, as Nunie proceeds to read the email Amelia had sent her. She wanted Nunie to review all the lesson plans for the upcoming weeks and curate a schedule from Monday through Friday of activities to enhance learning. One thing Nunie has learned from her co-op is that it's extremely hard to entertain a class of twenty-five kindergarteners. She sighs loudly just from reading the email before liking it and responding to Amelia that she'll get started on the schedule right away. It's Saturday, and while Nunie doesn't have work—she doesn't exactly have the day off. 

Koda lies on the bed next to her asleep while Jay's laptop is strewn by the foot. Kai has work today and Ddot is too scared to watch Koda by himself, which leaves Nunie to dog-sit for the day. Jay had gone off about fifteen minutes ago to go shower, telling Nunie to start early on her co-op assignments so, they could go get food. Nunie scratches Koda's head gently, using her other hand to open Google Classroom and check all of the lesson materials Amelia had posted—she cross-posted all the lessons to keep the parents in the loop and to ensure learning at school was also being enforced at home. She sees Tayvon's mother had posted a message on the class feed about a field trip coming up next month and if they'd need volunteers. While Nunie is scheduled to be off next month because she'll be due anytime then, she's knowledgeable in the topic that she feels comfortable enough to respond, typing up a quick response to Mrs. Brown about where to find the permission forms and to contact them within the next two weeks to indicate supervision interest. Just as she's about to press send, a FaceTime call pops up and she reads the name in disbelief.

NASIR

ACCEPT | DECLINE

Nunie bites her lip nervously, the mouse hovering over the red button, before she makes a split-second decision, deciding to answer her brother. He's seated at his desk, staring at the camera blankly, and Nunie tries her best to smile.

"Hi Nas—"

"Is it true, Ni? You keeping the baby?" He cuts her off abruptly.

Well, hello to you, too, nigga.

"Mom told you?" Nunie asks carefully.

"She did—why didn't you call me, Nunie? This is a big deal—a big decision to have a fucking baby,"  Nasir frowns.

"I-I'm sorry, Nas, I was trying to find my footing—I was caught up in my own life, that's why I didn't reach out," Nunie sighs, "I got a job—I've been busy working and on top of school, I just haven't had the time to—"