𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟕.

The Uber drops them off at a large house deep within a suburban residential area

The Uber drops them off at a large house deep within a suburban residential area. Kai squeals in glee, thanking Ddot profusely for all his planning that went into her birthday. Nunie can tell that they're almost like siblings rather than cousins and Ddot's nonchalance at going out for Kai's birthday even makes her smile because she can tell they truly care about each other, but nothing can distract Nunie from the dread settling in her stomach. She's a nervous wreck during the car ride—Ddot sits in the passenger seat, while Kai sits behind him and Nunie behind the driver.

Her knee bounces anxiously the whole ride, and her palms are starting to sweat as the AirBnb comes into view.

Kai is so amped up with excitement and anticipation that she doesn't notice her, and Nunie is glad because the last thing she wants to do is ruin Kai's eighteenth birthday and cause a scene. She's always been good at turning off her emotions, so as the Uber finally stops at the top of the long, spiralling driveway, she schools her face in an instant—keeping it neutral.

The house is gorgeous—almost a mansion, and Nunie internally laughs at the smug look on Ddot's face as they hop on and Kai admires the building's architecture.

"Bro, the party is inside, not outside," Ddot shakes his head as his older cousin practically vibrates with excitement.

"Shut up, Darrian," Kai bites back with no real venom in her voice, there's a smile on her face and Nunie can see how happy she is, so she just stays quiet—not trusting her voice not to quiver if she speaks. "Nunie, c'mon, let's go inside." Kai says, turning back and offering her arm to Nunie. Nunie's eyes widen, and she hesitantly loops her arms with hers. Kai smiles at her again, keeping her close as Ddot walks ahead to open the grand double doors.

Its a beautiful home—pristine cream walls and marble flooring beneath their feet, Nunie is in awe at the elaborate grand staircase that greets them as soon as she opens the door—however, she gets very nervous when she sees all the people gathered around, waiting for them.

"Happy birthday, Kai!" Everyone shouts loudly in unison, and Nunie winces at the loud volume; it's scary—almost cult-like. People come and dap up Ddot before moving on to give Kai a hug. Nunie stands off to the side, watching her friend with a small smile. The amount of people in the large entryway somehow makes it feel cramped, and Nunie feels so small. People push past her, brushing her to move deeper within the house after they greet the birthday girl, and Nunie grows more and more uneasy every time another person touches her—even brushes her slightly.

She's overstimulated, so she folds her arms over her chest, digging her nails into the skin of her biceps, forcing herself to breathe slow and deeply.

"Nunie!" Someone calls out to her, and it's Kai, waving her along.

She forces herself to move—forces her to place one foot in front of the other, grateful as Kai takes her arm gently, leading her into the house. Loud music is blasting from the back of the house, and they pass a kitchen stocked full of drinks and alcohol, counters lined with food along with a living room housing people lounging around who call out to them in greeting as they go.