Chapter 31

"So you and him are like... Together?" 

Natalie couldn't believe it.

"I guess so," I answered.

I tried my best to ignore her because I was more worried about taking down my class notes than entertaining Natalie with news that clearly interested her more than anyone else was. 

" Good for you!" she exclaimed cheerfully. "I'm so excited for you, he's such a gentleman."  

Said like a typical girl.

The decisions that I had made that week required some adjustments. I was amazed by how one's choices defined who they were. It occurred quiet often in my adolescent years and I wonder if that was the reason why I struggled with self-identity. Unfortunately, I allowed everything to alter the person I was. Fortunately, I let everything alter the person that I am. 

I made some decisions that lead me to my darkest moments, but my darkest moments sculpted me into being someone who is more than capable of overcoming the worst. I am so happy that I met girls like Natalie because even though she was a sweet innocent girl who listened to her parents, she still had a dark side that no one ever saw except of me. 

***

I was both excited and anxious to go to Trent's match. I didn't know what to wear or what to do with my hair. I wasn't sure if I wanted to wear accessories or if I wanted to carry a bag.  Once I decided on what to wear, I stuffed Trent's jacket into a tote bag along with my cell phone, spare house key and other essentials. 

I got into the car and waited for my mother who eventually strolled out of the house, in smart casual clothes. She made plans to meet some of her friends from work since I had plans with mine. 

I watched her pull my sunglasses out from her bag before getting into the car. She adjusted the sunglasses in the rearview mirror then checked her makeup before staring the car. I also noticed that she had some of my bracelets on. One of my favourite sets of earrings complimented the other accessories that she wore and I'm pretty sure that she was wearing my perfume to.  But I said nothing because she was already doing me a favour. 

 I had a feeling that mother deliberately made use of my things knowing very well that I wouldn't argue with her.  

We were quiet until we reversed out of the driveway. 

"You look cute", I finally said.  

"Thanks," she exclaimed. "From what time should I pick up?" 

Earlier in the week, Trent and I made arrangements for after the match and I was supposed to let my mom know about our plans, but I hadn't really grown the balls to tell her. "Well... my friends and I want to go out after the match..." 

My mouth got slightly dry as I attempted to ask her what I wanted to ask her. I was relieved when she caught the hint.   "You know the rules, no alcohol, no smoking, no getting up to mischief with boys and please stay with your friends at all times. If you go to the bathroom, go with a friend."

I nodded without saying anything else. I didn't tell her the full truth which. Lying to my parents took guts. 

We heard nothing but the radio until we got to the school. The parking lot was packed with kids wearing blue and white. Cars were moving slowly to avoiding hitting anyone. "There are sidewalks for a reason people!" My mother yelled.

'Not surprised that I would be embarrassed.'  I thought to myself.

"Okay thanks mom I'll jump off here, I love you," I kissed her cheek and unlocked my door manually.

"Are you sure? I can drive you to the gate if you want it may take a while though."
"No really, you are already doing so much for me."
"Okay, have fun! Go Grizzly's, roar!"
"Roar!" I say closing the door.

I watched her drive away before pulling Trent's jacket out of my bag and trying it on. 
Blue and white; the colours of our high school along with a bear paw print on the top left of the jacket. In the centre of the paw print was Trent's number; 23.

" Is that Trent Carters jacket?"

I turned around, and standing right behind me was Jessica Eaves.  Her broad smile was comforting. She hugged me before leading me through the crowd. I squeezed her hand because I was afraid of losing her. We were followed by Brady and Chad on our way to the football field. Unfortunately, they were accompanied by Trina and Shannon.  

I was surprised to see Shannon eating a chocolate brownie. 

But that is completely different story. 

I didn't want to be around the others because I started to notice a slight change in their attitude. It's like the guys were trying to keep their distance and of course Trina and Shannon still had their petty grudge. It was awkward for me, but I tried to ignore it and stayed close to Jessica the entire time. I felt a little more comfortable when the game started because I focused all of my attention on Trent.

Our cheer squad did a good job with keeping the crowd fired up and maintaining the energy, but every time Trent's name was mentioned by the commentators, they stopped what they were doing to watch him play.