Chapter 3

Lovely weather we are having today?
The best I could do was have a fabricated conversation in mind.

Did you guys watch that football game last night? Have you girls seen what Kim Kardashian did with her hair? Did you know-

"You may take a seat," said the teacher.  I looked around the classroom to find an empty seat. The silence in the class made me feel extremely uncomfortable.

I examined all the pretty faces. In the corner of the class sat a group of beautiful  girls who stared me down with smiles. I could've sat near them but my sub-conscience told me otherwise. ‘ Imagine being called the DUFF of the group.’

My eyes stopped at an empty chair next to a girl with short, tightly curled hair. I sort of wobbled over to the seat and sat there in silence feeling shy and embarrassed.

I constantly told myself that I had no business there even though I was a teenager who was at the right place at the right time, but imagine a fish out of water, gasping in air dying for H²O or in my case; acceptance.
Unfortunately, acceptance was something that I always fished for. It's a teenage thing I guess.

After taking a seat the  noise levels in the class gradually increased.
"Jessica Eaves." The girl with the curly hair held out her hand. She offered a handshake and a very friendly smile on her face.

"Kourtney Kidman." We exchanged handshakes.
Socializing and making friends has never been much of an issue for me, but keeping them is a bit of a hassle.

"You can call me Jess."
Jess, I like that.
"I also go by Kourt," I explained.

As much as I wanted to run back home and curl up into a little ball under my bed, Jessica's contagious smile made me feel more welcomed and at ease.

"What made you transfer to Bellevue ?" She asked.

"Well, I actually switched towns , we moved here for my dad's ...work thing," I explained, sounding almost uncertain of myself.

"Oh wow new to the town! If you are free on Saturday I really don't mind taking you to a few of my favourite places."

And the excitement didn't last as  long as I had anticipated.

Before I could give a disappointing answer, the bell rang for our first lesson of the day. I skimmed through my timetable and realised that I had biology for the first period so like the rest of the class did I stood up ready to leave. The the only problem was:

I had no idea where I was going.
Not even a damn clue.

They gave me pamphlets explaining the school's history and past achievements but they couldn't give me a bloody map of the entire school?
Not even a hand drawn map...

"Do you know where the biology class is?" I asked Jessica.

"Yeah. I do biology too, so we can walk there together."

We both left the class and walk into a crowded hallway where rush hour appeared to be upon us. ‘Does the nightmare ever end?’ I asked myself.

I knew that it was a rhetoric question; simply because I already knew that my nightmares never ended.

"Try to keep up!" Jessica shouted from over her shoulder.

The hallway was noisier than my home room and everyone was trying to push their way through the crowd. My previous school was private so I had never experienced having to push my way through a crowded hall. We did not have many students.

I tried to catch up to Jessica but a small group of ninth graders stopped me to ask me for directions. They appeared to be ninth graders. It was ironic because even though they were freshman, they have been in the school for a longer amount of time in comparison to me.

"I don't even know where the hell I am going to either!" I yelled over the stentorian roar of the hallway.

I watched them squeeze passed me then looked ahead of me again only to realize that Jessica had disappeared into the crowd.

"Great," I said as I sarcastically threw my hands into the air.

"Who has time to stop in the middle of a High school hallway during the first lesson change!"

I looked around trying to see where that slightly deep, yet calm, voice came from.

The hall started to become increasingly still as the other students found their way into their classes. I frantically turned around as I felt someone's hand touch my shoulder.

There in front of me, stood a tall boy with short curly hair, staring at me with big, beautiful, hazel eyes.He had a cool edgy and artistic look. He kind of looked aggressive.

In my mind I dared him to lose his temper with me; I'm the one who's lost anyways so if someone should get mad; it should be me.

Although; getting mad is something that I could not do at that moment in time.

And for the first time in history: Kourtney Kidman shut her mouth.

I couldn't tell if he was ready to bark at me or if he was just highly confused. And if he was then that made two of us.

I remained standing there in silence, like a complete idiot, with eyes the size of golf balls and a look of shock on my face. I tried to compose of myself which was not working out so great for me.

I was proud of my resilience because eventually I did manage to get my shit together and brush off the feelings admiration.
Well. That's what I thought.