Chapter 15

***
"Trent is a ladies man," explained Natalie.

After our first few lessons, I told Jessica that I was going to the library. I didn't exactly tell her that I was going to spend lunch with Natalie because I didn't  think that she would have a problem with it. Natalie usually spent most of her breaks helping the librarian.

I decided to help her put books on the shelves after we had something to eat. The librarian was kind enough to give us scones and tea. It was served in a very beautiful porcelain tea set. No one really helped her in the library so she was most grateful for me and Natalie.

"A ladies man?"

"That's what everyone calls him," she shrugged.

The library was empty and the librarian was in her office so Natalie and I were talking freely about anyone and everyone.

"I mean, he is very handsome but then again so is Chad. No one really calls Chad a ladies man," she giggled.
"I suppose Trent earned his title from always rescuing a damsel in distress."
I didn't want to believe it at the time, but Trent did rescue me in my darkest hours.
And I giving me a ride to school was not the only time he rescued me.

"What kind of girls is Trent into?" I asked without thinking. Natalie dropped a pile of books then looked up with a smile. "I don't mean it like that!" I quickly added. "I'm genuinely curious."

"Don't worry this is a safe place. I'll keep your secrets as long as you don't Trina and the other's that I eat carbs," she laughed and made reference to the scones.

She picked up the books from the floor then stacked them onto a shelf. " Well... I've only ever seen him with 'troublesome' girls."
' Troublesome'.

Natalie was very well mannered. She had a certain way of saying things and it was almost as if she never intended to hurt anyone. Not even a fly. It all seemed very contradictory in the end.

However the word troublesome wasn't hard to define. It was clear that Trent would be attracted to daredevils, party chicks and little sl...

Let's just leave it at troublesome.

"I'm not really sure about how many girls he has dated but I know it's not as many as Chad."

Before I could ask anymore questions the bell rang and lunch ended. "Let's just leave the book cart in front of this shelf so she'll know where we stopped. We need to get to class."

Natalie and I ran out the library to our next class. For the first time, I dreaded going to art class. I was not ready to face Trent. Aside from hearing new information about him I still had my concerns the arguments we had earlier that morning.

I could've change my place because there were only ten students in the class but I liked my seat; it was next to the window and it was right in front.
The view from the window was not the best, but inspiration came from many places.

As soon as I got to class, Mrs Kooper gave us theory notes to take down. notes to write down. The twentieth century movements in art were my favourite topic in visual cultural studies. It taught me that one change made a huge difference in the way artist from the past painted and visualised everything in the world around them. Trent had been quiet from the time we both entered the class. I didn't find the silence between us infuriating but I did find it nerve wrecking.

"Kourtney and Trent," Mrs Kooper said standing in front of our table. "You two actually make a pretty good team. The mural outside is stunning. I'm surprised that you managed to finish it ," she added.

Words could not describe how excited I was to hear that Mrs Kooper liked the mural. I was really nervous doing it but her words put me at ease.
Who did the top part of the painting?" She asked. I remained quiet.

"Kourtney did ma'am," Trent answered.
"Kourtney! I expect more of that kind of work from you," she smiled.

It took me some before I could find my voice again.
"Well little Miss Picasso, not bad. You know, it's really hard to impress Mrs Kooper. Compliments like those are very rare in this class," Trent explained.

"Thanks," I said. "I am happy to know that you're talking to me again. "
I wasn't supposed to say it like that, I had the intention of being a little more subtle and maybe ; for safety measures; I should've kept that thought to myself.
" Who said I wasn't?" He asked.
" You're attitude and tone towards me said otherwise."
"What are you talking about?" He asked bewildered.
"This morning on the football field?" I reminded him.
"If memory serves me correct, you were they one with the attitude."

I felt a little dizzy because he turned the tables really fast.

"And you become just as aggressive when Brady approached us." I snapped back.
"I wasn't aggressive. I was disappointed. Out of all the guys at this school you choose Brady."

'Oh my dear God.'
I probably almost fell off my chair that day because I was not expecting to be hit with a brick. That assumption was news to me.
"Choose Brady? What does ' choose Brady mean?' In what world did I choose Brady?" I hissed.
" You don't have to lie to me Kourt."

And at that point, I wished he had stopped talking to me.
"I watched you get excited to see him and the way you battered your eyes."

' That's creepy.'

I couldn't tell if Trent was being serious or if she was just pulling my leg because he seemed very witty about it.
" I was avoiding a topic we were on earlier," I explained. " I am not attracted to Brady."

"Are you sure?" He grinned.
"100 percent."
"I don't know, you sure did fool me."
"You are so full of yourself!" I exclaimed."So are you getting into detention today?" I asked him intending to change the subject.
"Not today I have football practice.
"No I think I'm going to call my mom to come pick me up," I answered.
"You can stay and watch us practice , then I could take you home afterwards. If you want."
"No thank you. I don't think I could manage another ride."
"What? Scared of my bike?"
"Aside from your bike ,my parents would kill me if they saw me on the Trent-a-saurus."

I was prepared to engage in a cordial conversation with Trent but the  bell rang for the next lesson. It was a little disappointing.
"Well then. I guess I'll just have to wait to see you tomorrow," he said. We both exchanged smiles as we packed our books away. I wasn't exactly sure what it was about but I was just being friendly.

The rest of the day went by.
After p.m. registration, I walked up to the school gate where I called my mother to pick me up. She knocked off early from the office that day so I was fortunate to only wait a little while.

She entered the school's empty parking lot and I made my way to her car. For most of that car ride I a fat lot to say but I only said it in my head.

"Hey you," she smiled.
"Thanks for picking me up."
"You say that like it's a favour. I'm your mother, it's my responsibility and the relationship we share."
'Responsibility?'
"Well your husband doesn't seem to think so."
"Hey that's your father young lady."

'My father is the man who chooses to start a war with me instead of trying to fix things with me. Same guy.'
We drove off of the school premises and onto the road.

"So did you take the bus this morning?" She asked, amused.
'Oh, no I did not. I sat on the back of a motorcycle and screamed for dear life.

"Yes," I answered blankly and I didn't dare  reveal anything.
The last thing I needed was for her to have a panic attack behind the wheel. She would've lost her shit if she knew that I was on a bike.
She finally let out the laugh that she had been holding back.
"Your father is too much," she added.  " But lest change the topic; how was your day at school?"