Endearing Hyprocrite

The morning classes rolled around like usual. Chabashira-sensei continued her monotone teaching style while the students in the class struggled to keep their interest in the lesson.

Had it been two months ago, students would be texting each other while keeping their phones hidden. Luckily, that way of living had changed for Class D. Even the likes of Ike, Yamauchi, and Sudo had their notebooks open with minimal notes written down.

My seating neighbor, Horikita Suzune, kept her focus up ahead. She diligently held steady while scanning the board full of information and copying it into her notebook.

I twiddled the pencil in my hand while glancing out the window momentarily. The camera's situated around the room would definitely catch me slacking off, but it wouldn't count against me as long as it was a short break.

I confirmed it, after all.

Like the rest of my peers, the ticking of the clock on the wall resonated in our ears, sounding louder than Chabashira-sensei's explanation. The class would end soon, and our hopes lay on the bell's chime.

Thetintinnabulation didn't take long. Our teacher skillfully wrapped up the lesson a minute before the bell, letting us collect our bags and begin leaving. As I packed my bag with my half-filled notebook, a group of students approached me.

"Kiyo, let's go to the karaoke bar today."

"Yeah, I wanna hear you sing again!"

"Your voice doesn't suit your face at all, though."

A few playfully teased me, making me laugh a bit and rub my nape in embarrassment. A sheepish smile grew on my lips.

"Sorry guys, I got a few things to take care of today. Go on without me, okay?"

"Aw, what a stick in the mud!" A girl cried out, pouting while crossing her arms. The gesture was a bit cute, but I paid it no heed and faced the center of the group.

"At least you got Hirata with you today," I commented, giving him a small glance while slinging my bag over my shoulder. The boy in question just blinked in confusion.

"E-eh... But Hirata-kun doesn't have the best voice..." Shinohara said with a strained smile. She didn't mean any harm to him when saying that, but the truth was the truth. I would rather wriggle around like a worm than hear him attempt to hit a high note again.

"Exactly."

"H-hey!"

A few students laughed around us. Although my jokes weren't always the best, people said my calm voice made things a hundred times funnier. Yet again, it seemed that factor had reeled in a few.

"Anyway, we'll get going then. I'll make sure to message you the videos later." Kyosuke Okatani raised a peace sign while chewing a piece of gum, before turning around.

I grinned a bit while replying. "Yeah, but don't forget to actually hit the record button this time."

"I won't, geez!" He exclaimed, looking a bit red in the face. It had become an inside joke ever since he had 'recorded' a cringe-worthy singing session by Horikita after she was bribed into doing so. Later that night, the idiot realized he forgot to press record and nearly shat himself.

I did spend ten thousand points for that, after all.

A few girls jumped on the occasion to bash him for the iconic night, playfully teasing as the boy's face grew redder with every comment. The group slowly began walking away from me with a few farewells, as I momentarily waved my arm before putting it down.

"Now then."

The classroom was a lot quieter now. I could make out every person in the room; all of them were students with a lesser presence during class. Sakura Airi glanced and waved at me warmly, which I returned in kind.