One Fine Spring Day:2

Ichinose Honami pov

First day of the semester. One year inside this institution known as Advanced Nurturing High School has passed and we are officially second years. A lot of things happened during that time but it's time to turn over a new leaf.

I, Ichinose Honami, second year class B, am looking forward to new challenges that await us this year. It is very important for our class to make significant improvements so that when the third year comes, we will have a more solid shot at overtaking class A and then graduate.

However, not all things happen as I expected.

I never expected to tackle such unique challenges for us this past year. I never expected to struggle heavily against the other schemes. I never expected for my own personal being to be tested to such extent. But most importantly…

I never expected to experience one significant perk that youth brings. I never expected to fall in love.

That's right, I was able to experience this feeling called "love". I wondered what even that was before I entered this school. How can one feel excitement at seeing someone every single day? How can one look forward to going to school despite knowing hard times are approaching? How can one worry over someone so much that you sometimes forget worrying over yourself? I worry about my classmates a lot, but somehow, I couldn't put it quite well in words, but this feeling is different. It didn't make sense logically, so I didn't understand how even a person could reach that point.

That's how I knew. When I couldn't exactly explain certain things logically.

And this person I fell in love with was a person I didn't expect to fall in love with as well. But that's just how it goes.

Not all things happen as I expected.

And so, as I step outside the elevator into the dorm lobby, I inhaled a little bit more deeply and let it out a moment later. Grasping firmly the strap of my school bag with my right hand, I walked towards the dorm entrance.

"Going to school now, Honami-chan? Let's go together!" a familiar voice said behind me.

I looked back at the direction of the voice. "Good morning, Chihiro-chan! Sure, let's go."

I stayed silent after that, because secretly I was hoping to catch that guy so we can go to school together. Looks like I won't be that lucky today.

"Honami-chan is deep in thoughts early in the morning, is something bothering you?" Chihiro asked worryingly.

I shook my head as I realized the abnormality of my actions and put on a smile. "Ah, nothing, Chihiro-chan! Sorry for worrying you. I was just thinking about some student council chores to do today."

"I'll always worry about you Honami-chan. You know that, don't you? We're second years already and time flies so fast, so I'm hoping we can get more time together."

Ah. Eh?! Realizing the meaning behind her words, I look towards the front in panic and avoided eye contact. Chihiro-chan has those feelings for me too. I remembered when she confessed to me all about it last year. My feelings for Chihiro-chan will always be that of friendship, almost a sisterly bond. It's the same for all my classmates as well.

I'll have to find a way to talk to her about this.

But for now, the school building is looming in front of us and several heaps of students are also walking in the same direction as us. Brushing the topic aside, I saw a few of my other classmates entering the school so I waved my hand and called out to them.

"Good morning, Kanzaki-kun!"

"Good morning, Ichinose-san," Kanzaki-kun replied as he walked with the same pace as he had before.