47 - # RESCUE OVERTURE

SHIE HASSAIKAI ARC
- # part five

content warnings: none

- "HEYA, ERI." the door to the little girl's bedroom swung open, a tall man with yellow-blond hair staggering through. "relax, i'm jus' making sure you're still here!"

eri sat straight up in her bed as the dim light of the hallway leaked into the darkness, holding her hands close to her chest and scooting back as the man stepped closer to her. her room was cold, with light blue walls lined with drawings of the skies and fruit trees. on the ground, several brightly colored carpets sat under unopened boxes of dolls, play sets, and other various children's toys.

his nose scrunches, "you haven't touched your toys yet? after all the trouble we went through to buy them for you... why not let yourself have some fun for once?"

she shields her face with her arm as he sits down on the edge of her bed, lightly patting her head.

"come on, come on..." he grumbled. "don't be scared."

after the frail girl shrunk away from him again, the yakuza thug let out another grunt and stood up, glancing back at her just before leaving and slamming the door behind him once again.

eri's eyes flicker to the door, vision blurred with stinging tears as she lays back down atop her neatly made blankets and folds over the pillow to cover her ears. the warm hands of slumber that once coddled her were nowhere to be found.

she closed her eyes tightly and let go of the pillow, letting it fall back as she shifted to face the ceiling. her bandaged hands went up to her hair, fingertips just slightly grazing her horn before moving to her hair and through the strands to recreate the feeling of the hero that held her days prior.

with a trembling lip, she sat up and wrapped her frail arms around herself, but the warmth of selene could not be recreated. like the blooming moon surrounded by the pitch-black night sky, eri felt like she was reaching out for something too far away from her. even if she stood on her tip-toes, there was no way for her to get the fluttering feeling of contentment that she had for those minutes outside.

she hoped that selene was thinking about her.

🌙

i huffed, shoe meeting stone as we made our way to the top of the rock climbing wall inside gym gamma.

focusing was almost impossible after the conference. nighteye and the other pro heroes were busy pinpointing chisaki's location, and we work-study students were left on standby until they found where he was keeping eri.