29 - # TUSSLE AMONG TREES

FOREST TRAINING ARC
- # part one

content warnings: smoking

- THE DIM ORANGE light of the bar cast a faint glow onto the glass, shigaraki's finger rubbing the rim as kurogiri pours the drink

"the master is good. i tried so hard to find out where those idiots were going and he figured it out in an instant." shigaraki says, "guess he really showed me up."

kurogiri watches the young adult closely, eyes flickering and scanning his every move- every twitch, every wince, every breath. "it was worth having a team on standby then, wasn't it? tomura shigaraki."

shigaraki scoffs. "i guess?"

the door bell chimes- cigarette smoke flowing in through the dark vent as the heavy metal door clicks open, giran walking through it, the thick stench of tobacco sticking to his clothes. "i heard back from the union today. you can expect a delivery tomorrow. it was thrown together quickly, so it might not look like much, but quality's guaranteed."

"i must apologize for making such an unreasonable request." kurogiri says.

giran shrugs, taking a long draw from the cancer stick. "tell me, shigaraki, do you know why the union accepted this outlandish order of yours?"

shigaraki's eyes narrow at the old man, who smirks as he lets the smoke fall into his lungs, before taking the cigarette between his fingers from his lips. "'cause everyone's got high expectations of you. if the league of villains steps into the light, then the scum hiding on the sidelines will follow suit. and if that happens, that means brokers like me 'n my buddy will be rolling in new customers. crime pays."

"oh, yes." shigaraki says, leaning against the palm of his hand, "you're gonna be so busy, you won't be able to keep up."

giran chuckles, "i'm looking forward to that. anyway, thanks."

he turns around on his heel, clicking open the door and blowing the smoke into the bar before slamming it shut behind him.

shigaraki smiles, "the board is set with my pawns and their prey."

his eyes flicker to two photos displayed behind the bar counter- "finally. time for the real game to begin."

🩹
📍UA HIGH

"now they you've finished your first semester at UA high, it's time for summer vacation to officially begin." aizawa says. "however... don't think these will be months of rest for you heroes-in-the-making. at this camp, we'll push you to go beyond your limits. you're aiming to become plus ultra."