Chapter 19 : Marriage , kisses and cookies

Leon's P.O.V

Clary looked nervous as she stood there. I wanted to go stand behind her and tell everyone to look away. But she needed this because when I actually introduced her to my business circle, they would not just be looking; they would be preying on her with their eyes.

My family was, at least, not made of wolves.

"Hi." She nervously tittered. It was so unlike herself.

"Guys, come on. Is this how you welcome guests? Do I need to lecture you all just as I did Milo?"

"Hi." My brother-in-law broke the silence. "I am Markus, Mr.Layla." He chuckled, and Clary laughed.

"Hi, nice to meet you."

"Now this guy that is looking at you like you have two heads is Derek. My brother. And Lia's husband," he said.

"Wait? Twins again? Whoa!" She said.

"Yes. Though I am the good-looking one," Markus said.

"Dude, we are identical." Derek frowned at his brother.

"But some people have that innate radiance that outer beauty cannot just fight against."

"Now, let them fight. They are my mom and dad. You have already met Dad. Mom, Clarissa," I said as I looked at her. She had that look in her eyes—the 'you have so much to explain, young man' look.

"What about me, Uncle Leon?"

"Oh, this here is Ella. Don't call her El. She is ten and ..."

"She is Lady Leon," Lia said. "Exactly her uncle."

For that, Ella sighed, rolled her eyes, and looked proudly at me. We both shared a look that was pure exasperation. I loved my niece so much.

Mom was still staring at Clary. Clary didn't back down, but she looked like a deer caught in the headlights.

Mom looked kind of scary, but she was really a cuddly teddy bear.

"I am Evylen." Mom walked closer to her, and Clary pushed her hand forward.

"Mrs. Black, hi. Thanks for having me."

And she gasped when Mom pulled her into a hug and kissed her. "We don't do handshakes here. And what is that about Mrs. Black, eh? Call me Ev. You must be special since Leon had never brought a girl home and never even had a serious girlfriend, and now he is engaged."

"Except Anna, Tiff, and Jackie." Layla said with a smirk. I so hated my sisters. They had always been a pain in my ass, but they had always been someone who defended me against all my bullies when I was little.

"Oh, that was before he was seventeen. After that, he brings girls only to old, abandoned parking lots." Lia said helpfully.

Clary looked at me and shook her head. "Such a playboy."

I just rolled my eyes at that.

"I am not." I defended my honour. I wasn't really a playboy. Maybe a teenage boy at some point, but I had grown up faster. and all that the news says are rumours, and Jennifer that Clary keeps seeing was my girlfriend before I met Clary.

"Uh huh. It doesn't seem like that." Nervousness was long forgotten; my spitfire was back. And I liked her this way.

As everyone walked inside the big kitchen, Clary stood next to me, wagging her brows.

"Don't say whatever you are going to say."

"But you don't know what I am going to say." She complained and pouted, and I wanted to kiss that pout away.