Road Trip

Clear sky, smooth road, music blasting, iced coffee in my travel mug, aircon blowing cool air in my face. This Road trip couldn't be better. Clarisse had offered to drive, which meant she was incharge of music. It was an odd mix, anywhere from 70s punk rock to modern teen angst, the daughter of Ares had rang. She allowed me to put a couple queen songs in the mix though. She had on a red tank top, showing off her muscles which I didn't not complain about, camo cargo shorts, red converse, a leather bracelet, and her hair pulled back in a red bandana. Her scarred hand on the wheel, with a tight grip making some veins subtle pop from her skin, the other laying in her lap. The sun hitting her skin, making her glow with a beautiful tan. I had on a white lace off the shoulder top, black denim shorts, a couple crystal bracelets, a few rings and a couple necklaces of different lengths, along with my fishnets and doc martens. My black shoulder blade length hair was pulled into two plaits and fell to the sides of my chest.

I'm not sure where we were going. Clarisse promised it would be fun so I trusted her, probably a bad idea though. We were about two hours in when Clarisse stopped at a gas station to fill up the car. It was one of those red four wheel drives where the trunk only had a wire frame over top and was more of a tray. Clarisse pulled herself back into the driver's seat, threw me a bag of gummy bears she'd grabbed whilst paying, slammed the door closed then asked;

'You ready to get back on the road?'

'Yeah, how much longer is it?' I asked as she pulled the car out of the station and onto the highway.

'Shouldn't be anymore then an hour my darling.' She said resting her hand on my thigh. She knew I loved it when she did that. 'Be a dear and pass me a couple of those.'

I ripped open the packet of Gummy bears and passed her some. We sang along to the music whilst laughing at each other's awful singing and finished the packet of lollies then after about forty minutes, Clarisse told me.

'Close your eyes.'

I did, and felt us turn off the highway. She made a couple turns then it felt like we were going up a hill. She didn't allow me to open my eyes for about twenty minutes, her hand staying on my thigh the whole time. The car came to a stop and Clarisse said again;

'Keep your eyes closed.'

I did as I heard her get out of the car, and heard some moving around behind the car then a few minutes later my side door opened and I felt my seatbelt unclick. As I felt Clarisse moving back from unclicking my seat belt, she pressed a soft, sweet kiss on my lips then took my hands in hers, pulling me out of the car.

'Just trust me darling.'

She told me again. She led me somewhere, one of her hands holding mine and the other on my lower back, guiding me. After a few more steps she stopped and whispered.

'Open your eyes.'

I did, to see we were parked at the top of the mountain, a beautiful river at the bottom and trees and flowers scattered around us. I looked back to the car that had the boot open, with blankets and pillows seat up. I turned to Clarisse who was holding my waist, almost as if she was scared I would call down the hill. She looked a little scared, like she was afraid of my reaction. A smile crawled onto my hair just before I threw my arms over her shoulders, burying my face into her neck. She released the breath of air she was holding before and tightened her grip around me. I pulled away after and second, kissing her.

'You really did this?' I ask, looking around and taking everything in. I'd always wanted to do an off- road thing like this, where we could just be away from everything, all the chaos of our lives as demigods and just get a chance for it to just be us together by ourselves without everyone at camp trying to interrupt us.

'Of course I did. Anything to make you smile.' She responded.

We spent the whole day cuddled up in the trunk, watching the view, talking, eating the arrangement of snacks Clarisse had brought, and spending a tiny bit of time kissing. We were positioned in a way that we had the perfect view of the sunset. Clarisse had pulled me close to her, my head resting on her shoulder, her arm tightly around me, a fluffy red blanket thrown over our legs. I felt myself drifting off and the last thing I remembered was Clarisse whispering.

'I love you Darling.'

I woke to two strong arms sliding under me, one under my waist and the other under my knees. I was leaning on a warm, muscular shoulder and I could feel a blanket around me. My eyes opened to see Clarisse, carrying me from the boot of the car to the passenger's seat. The sun was completely gone now and the only light coming from the car. She put me into my seat then disappeared for a few minutes. She pulled herself into the driver's seat and immediately turned on the heater. It had gotten a lot cooler then when we drove up so I pulled the blanket tighter over me as she started the engine.

'Sorry, I didn't mean to wake you darling.' She whispered, leaning over me and clicking in my seat belt for me, leaving a kiss on my cheek as she did so.

'It's okay. Did you want me to drive back instead?' I asked, yawning as she clicked herself in.

'Don't be ridiculous. You just sit there, be your beautiful self, and sing along.' She pulled the car back down the hill, turned on the music again, and when we got back on the highway, she said. 'There's a basket right behind your seat with the left overs from today, if you get hungry on the drive.'

'Noted and Clarisse, thank you.' I say.

'No problem darling, like I said, anything to make you smile.' She put her hand on my thigh again, where it stayed for the three hour drive home.