Chapter 53: Sacrifice

"DAD!!!!" I scream as I catch my father's falling body as he collapses in pain after taking the shot that was meant for me.

"Swifty, are you ok?" My dad asks me quietly, one arm reaching around to hold me, the other one not moving at all, making me wonder if it's injured.

"Dad, why would you do that? Why would you take the shot? You're one of the world's greatest heroes, and now your quirk... it's gone." I cry openly then, only vaguely aware of Midoriya and Lemillion fighting Overhaul in the background. I raise my goggles up to the top of my head, needing to see clearly what's happening and still not believing it.

"Because you have too bright a future as a hero, Jet Stream." My dad coughs in pain, a grimace moving through him at the action. It's then that I notice he's also wounded in his stomach, a horrible looking stab wound that's bleeding openly. I placed my free hand against it to put some pressure on it, slowing the bleeding. "I'm so proud of you, Irisa. You're an amazing hero already, and it's your turn to shine now."

"Daddy." I sob, feeling so torn between being heartbroken at what happened to him and proud at his genuine, heartfelt words that I've always wanted to hear, and this time I completely believe them. This time, my dad himself believes them. He's proud of me, it's all I've ever wanted, but it came at such a high price. "I'm so sorry."

"Save your tears, Swifty. You've still got a job to do here." He wipes the tears under my right eye, smiling at me despite the obvious amount of pain he's in. He turns to the girl who Lemillion left in Nighteye's care as he went to fight again. "You must be Eri, I'm here to rescue you." He says with more confidence, putting on a brave face as he stands back up.

A yell from the battle drew my focus away from the two injured men and scared girl. Midoriya and Lemillion were fighting all out, but Overhaul was still holding on and fighting dangerously.

"Gale Storm, Sir Nighteye." I call both of said men's attention to me, standing back up with a stoic expression that's rapidly getting darker as anger is taking over. "Get Eri out of here, and get yourselves to medics."

"Iri-" My dad starts to say worriedly, but then cuts himself off with a sigh as he really looks at me. "Jet Stream. Stand tall, and show this enemy what it means to fight against a member of the Gale Storm Agency. Show him what it means to fight a Yoarashi." He says with a confident smirk, pumping a fist in front of himself, albeit weaker than he would normally. "And when you're done, we're having a talk about this boyfriend of yours." He adds as I nod, making me chuckle at his focus in the middle of a deadly battle.

"Fine, just don't bleed out before you can give me the sex talk, old man." I grin at him as he huffs in annoyance, taking his cape off and wrapping it around his torso with shaking hands. I help him get it tied securely around him before giving him another nod, watching the two injured men take a hold of Eri's hands and lead her out of the disastrous room.

I collapse the blade on my scythe and switch it back to a regular staff, then fly in fast and strong at Overhaul, hitting him painfully and ripping off one of his extra arms with pure blunt force as I go. His whole attention was on Lemillion and Deku, so I had the element of surprise.

"That was for Sir Nighteye!" I yell as his blood sprays all over, and I make sure to not make the same mistake as last time. I take the arm I just severed, then I throw it to Lemillion. Mirio takes it and throws it through a gap in the wall, away from the battle site so Overhaul can't merge with it again. "And this is for my dad!" I yell as I power up a tornado punch, spinning myself in a whirl to give me more velocity before launching myself at Overhaul again. I land my punch on his back, and beneath his coat and skin I can feel something solid break from the impact. His resounding scream of pain was very satisfying.