Chapter 35: Ultimate Moves

I woke up early the next day to go for my normal morning run. I wasn't expecting company in the kitchen as I grabbed an apple and a water bottle, but alas, I'm not the only early riser.

"Morning, Kats." I say tiredly to the ash blonde as he cooks himself a full blown breakfast.

"What the hell are you doing up?" Bakugo asks, his voice slightly gruffer than normal, likely because it's so early.

"Just going on my morning run. Honestly, I wasn't allowed to for the last week since I was on lock down, so I'm just going to enjoy the freedom." I tell him truthfully as I quickly eat my apple. "Enjoy your breakfast, see you later!" I wave at him as I toss my apple core into the trash, grabbing the water and leaving.

There was a beautiful lake and nature trail near the dorm rooms that was a part of the campus, so I jogged along that. Part of me wondered if it was here before or if the school had it built when they made the dorms. It was nice at least to see I wasn't the only one up so early. There were a few second and third year students jogging as well. I was happy to spot a familiar head of purple in the distance ahead of me, so I used my wind to speed myself to join his side.

"Hey Love Child!" I greet my insomniac friend with cheerful energy, to which he deadpans at me as he huffs and puffs while running.

"You know, I think I missed when you fell off the face of the earth. It was peaceful." Shinso says sarcastically, his breathing labored but much better than it was a few months ago while running.

We fell into sync for the rest of the run. His pace matches well with mine, and I keep up most of the conversation, leaving him only to have to huff out one or two word replies as I fill him in on what happened in the last week. He already knew I had back up plans because I gave him all those pamphlets as well when we met. It's still one of his back up plans if he doesn't make it into the hero course before he graduates, and he didn't know those types of programs existed before I told him.

"So when do you get the mummy look off?" Shinso asks at the end of our jog as we get back to our dorms. He's only two buildings down from me, that makes our sparring or jogging meet ups a lot easier from now on. At his words though I tilt my head in confusion, my mind not catching up with his meaning.

"Oh crap I forgot!" I exclaim once the words set in and I reach up to my still-bandaged face. "Man, no one said anything yesterday. I was supposed to get the bandages off yesterday but everything got all changed around last minute. I'm gonna go see Recovery Girl right now! Thanks Toshi!" I wave at him as I entirely skip using the front door of the dorm and instead fly up to the balcony of my own room. I grabbed my school clothes and bolted down to the showers, cleaning up quickly and running back upstairs, all in a whirl of wind.

"Alright dear, you're cleared to open your left eye now." Recovery Girl says after she removes my bandage on my new cut and takes off the medical eyepatch. I slowly open my eye that's been shut for a week, feeling the initial sting of air on it but otherwise feeling the muscles around it relax after a moment. "Good, all irritation seems be cleared up. Your cut healed well, but there's nothing I can do for the scar."

"That's fine." I say sincerely, slipping on my regular eyepatch before hesitating in realization. "The patch doesn't cover much of the new cut, does it?" I ask with a slight frown, feeling where the seems of the patch are resting.

"No, I'm afraid not." She says as she hands me a small mirror. I take my first look at my wound then.

I've been avoiding looking at it this whole time. Makoto has been healing it and bandaging it for me so I didn't have to see. It's not pretty, not at all. Miyoshi's quirk doesn't just make normal blades, it makes blades with micro blades along the sides, so it stabs and shreds at the same time. The new cut is jagged and uneven because of how I had to move at the last minute, so it's wider and thicker on my nose and my cheek bone, then thinner along the connecting point and edge of my cheek. Where it crosses with the old scar, it left a crater-like indent on the cross section. The doctors explained because it was overlapped there, there just wasn't enough skin to fill out that spot anymore. Thankfully at least that part is covered by my daily eye patch, but my hero one will still show it.