67. Love is a Downfall

''Be good to your mother, lads. I'll visit when I can. But that may be some time.'' Harwin remarked looking down at the boys. ''Jace. I will return... I promise.'' Harwin looked between them, jace was too sad to speak. ''I will be a stranger when we meet again.'' Harwin realized softly as Harwin hugged Jace goodbye. 

''Princess.'' Harwin whispered as he headed out

''We will exchange letters by raven. Won't that be fun?'' Rhaenyra questioned as they watched Harwin leave.

''Is Harwin Strong my father? Am I a bastard?' Jace questioned looking up at her.

''You are a Targaryen. That's all that matters.'' Rhaenyra corrected.

"Seriously? Gods I wish I was there." Daemon declared flopping back into the bed.

"it was amazing and your idiot brother denied it still! What the literal hell!" Aislynn agreed.

"Viserys is... Viserys." Daemon breathed back. "Gods, you need to try another spell."

"I agree. the ingredients are hard nearly impossible to come by here i got lucky with a gypsy here but she disappeared afterwards, but the boys should be coming up from old town soon, I can have them raid the citadel."

"Good idea." Daemon agreed.

+

''A word?''

''I take it he's gone.''

''We're finished here. We're leaving.'' Rhaenyra demanded.

''What of your offer? Jace and Helaena?'' Laenor countered.

''I have been undermined... and made a spectacle. They whisper about me in the corridors. Well, I leave them to it.'' Rhaenyra hissed

''To Dragonstone then?'' Laenor offered

''We should've left years ago.'' Rhaenyra admitted

''What of your position?'' Laenor countered. ''You've always said if you were absent from court, she would pour her honey in your father's ear."

"The wise sailor flees the storm as it gathers.'' Rhaenyra offered she glanced back at Qarl. ''Laenor... bring him. We'll need every sword we can muster.''

+

"I heard there was a fire at harenhell." Aislynn remarked.

"Hall." Larys corrected.

"Hell." Aislynn corrected with a smirk. "Because it was on fire. You wouldnt know anything about that would you?"

"I heard my father and the king talking..."

"You hear his declarations?"

"No." Larys admitted. "But your father requested him come back."

"What?" Aislynn demanded.

"I figured you would rather have your father." Larys remarked.

"Yes." Aislynn agreed without hesitation. "Wait..."

''What are children, but a weakness? A folly? A futility? Through them, you imagine you cheat the great darkness of its victory." Larys remarked. ''You will persist forever, in some form or another. As if they will keep you from the dust.''

"Larys... you did this for Ali." Aislynn realized.

''You may know what is the right thing to be done, but... love stays the hand. Love... is a downfall. Best to make your way through life unencumbered... if you ask me.'

''They're dead.'' Aislynn agreed.

''You've heard the stories of Harrenhal, Aislynn. It was built in hubris by Harren the Black as a monument to his own greatness. Blood mixed into the mortar. It is said to be a cursed place. That it passes judgment on all who pass beneath its gates.'' Larys remarked softly. 

'' You passed judgment.'' Aislynn corrected a smug smirk on her face.

''My friend and my queen made a wish. What servant of the realm would not strive to fulfill it? I assume you will write to your father now?'' Larys questioned softly. 

''Thank you Larys... I didnt know they spoke again before they left." Aislynn remarked.

''I feel certain you will reward me... when the time is right.''

Try as Rhaenys might, no maesters could save Laena from her labors, the baby was in breech. She couldn't save her daughter. Her husband had died in the wars alongside Laenor. Laenor had made it home to his wife, whom didn't love him and Laena never saw her husband again. Her daughters lost both of their parents.