The Tick-tick of the Clock

Bonnie was standing in the hall, watching the clock tick. She had never noticed it before, but the thing with the grandfather clock was that it ticked but it did not move. Instead, the minute hand just jumped in place, stuck in a moment. Was time even passing? Seconds, minutes, hours, days... did it all even exist anymore? She had never once heard it chime.

On and on, and on and on... tick, tick, tick, tick.

Lifting her pale skirts, Bonnie crouched down to the door in the front of the clock and pulled it open. Inside, the pendulum swung one way, again and again on repeat. Creeping forward, Bonnie reached out a hand to touch it.

"Bon-nie, what are you do-ing?" Henry sing-songed from the stairs. Bonnie nearly smacked her head on the top of the doorway, she backpedaled so fast.

Henry grinned at her over the top of the bannister.

Bonnie followed him up the stairs.

They settled in the art room again; Henry drawing at the desk and Bonnie starting on her sofa, but ending up on the floor, systematically emptying the furniture from her dolls house.

There was something playing on her mind, she had thought about it all night, (If night indeed still existed- that was also playing on her mind.) had woken up thinking about it and had been waiting all morning for an opportunity. Scooting across the floor, she rested her chin on Henry's leg. He looked down at her.

"If you could change the world, how would it be?"

The question made him stop for a long moment. He put his pencil down and took her face in both hands. "Something you have to understand is that there is a natural order to things. Predator and prey. Everything has a role to play in the food chain."

"... And where do I stand in this food chain?" Bonnie asked.

"That, my darling, is up to you." He placed a kiss on her forehead and lightly ruffled her hair as he withdrew.

Bonnie pursed her lips as she thought about it. Then, her hand snuck up onto the desk and tugged at the edge of his drawing.

"Ah-ah! That's not finished." He stopped her.

Instead, he took something else down from the desk and pressed it into her hand, curling her fingers around it. "...You might at least have a look."

Bonnie opened her fingers to see the ring nestled in her palm. Her first impulse was to put it aside quickly, but something stopped her. She had never actually touched it before. The metal was pleasantly cool and smooth against her skin, the gem so many beautiful colours.

"I did choose it with you in mind." Henry slipped from the chair to crouch down beside her.

Bonnie traced her fingers over the pattern of spider legs. Some kind of unearthly light shone within the depths of the jewel, shifting and changing, drawing her in. She had to admit, it hit something in her brain, some kind of primal fascination, the feeling was magnetic- it was so very beautiful.

She had never tried it on. Surely she could just try it on? Just to see how it looked. She could always take it off again after. She moved as if to slip the ring onto her finger.

...And then she stopped. Leaning over, she kissed him on the cheek and placed the ring back atop the desk, Putting it away out of sight and temptation.

Damn, that was some power.

A/N: Somehow my university project came to an end and I wound up less consistent with updates. XD Oh well, chapters come out when they come out now.

Also, apologies if the chapters don't seem so eventful at the moment- trust me, I'm building up to something. XD This is all for the sake of pacing.